Friday, May 11, 2012

Blog Tour/Guest Post: A Day in My Writing Life by Loni Flowers

Hello Readers,


Today I'm thrilled to have Loni Flowers on the blog. Loni Flowers lives in Elm City, North Carolina with her video-gaming husband, who makes her laugh every day; two wild toddlers, who never slow down for a second; and three couch-potato dogs, who only raise an eye when foods around. She works a full-time professional job and when she's not playing on the internet or chatting on Twitter, she spends her free time with friends and family waiting for the next big idea strike. Taking Chances is her first novel.


I haven't read Taking Chances, but it is one that I've marked in my need to read list. I mean look at the cover, or am I the only one who has a thing for trees. Any cover with trees or swings automatically gets my attention.



At age twenty-three, Alex has had a hard life. His parents died when he was quite young, leaving his grandparents to raise him. Right before his high school graduation, his grandparents passed on too, leaving him all alone. After losing everyone he's ever loved, Alex turns to the streets in a self-destructive pattern until he finally ends up in Springhill, where he tries to make a new life for himself. 



Clair’s childhood was normal until age thirteen, when her father left the family and she never heard from him again. Consequently, her mother went into a deep depression, forcing Clair to grow up quickly. After finishing high school, Clair’s heartache over her father’s absence as well as her unbearable mother drive her to strike out on her own. But having nowhere to go and no family to speak of, Clair wanders aimlessly from town to town, homeless, and without purpose. Looking for work wherever she goes and living hand to mouth on the streets is tough, Clair discovers, but living with her mother is worse. 


Now twenty-one years old, Clair has found her way to the last place she and her family took their final vacation as a family--Springhill. While in town, she crosses paths with Alex and their ensuing relationship grows faster than expected. Soon Clair wonders if coming back to Springhill and meeting Alex was the best decision or the worst decision she ever made.

 You can find Loni at her website or her blog. You can also find links to purchase her novel here.

And now for the guest post, thanks again Loni. 

A day in my writing life—haha— is a more accurate description of this topic. Sometimes, it’s a joke to think I even have a writing life. With a family—a husband, two girls, 3 and 6 years old— and working a professional forty hour work week… after all that and tending to my family’s needs, when do I get time to write?

I work Monday through Friday for a large, well-known bank. Some days I go in early and have to stay late—the price of being a manger I guess. Keeping my notebook at my desk is essential. If I have an idea (which happens quite frequently) I write it down. I use my lunch hour and breaks to either read, outline, or write.

After my day job is over, I go home to the night job… which last until about 9 pm. I’ve got homework, dinner, playtime, bath time, bed time (which seems to last the longest because my two munchkins find everything under the sun to talk about. Stalling to the last possible minute is an art form my children excel in.) Once I’ve finally managed to get them to stop calling me in their room every five minutes, I settle on my end of the couch and fire up the laptop. If I’m not surfing the internet, reading blog post, Twitter, or Facebook… I’m staring a blank page, trying to get “into” the current scene I’m trying to write. This is my night… nearly every night. Some nights I’ll catch up on my recorded shows, read, outline or brainstorm new ideas with my best friend and writing buddy, Laura Kentowski.

Read. Outline. Write. It’s a never ending cycle. I try to balance my time, but I’m horrible at it. When I get into a book, I ignore my writing and when I get into my current work in progress, I ignore my reading. And lately, I have over 100 books on my bookshelf that I’ve been ignoring… clear evidence of my ‘balancing’ issue. Doing a little of both just doesn’t work for me. It has to be one or the other. I’m just weird like that! hahah

Does anyone else out there struggle with balancing your love of reading and writing? What do you do to balance it out? Is it even possible?

All in all, writing for me can be a love/hate relationship—more love than anything. If there is one thing I’ve learned about writing, it’s this:  If you love to write, you’ll find the time to do it, no matter what!

There. That is my daily routine. Pretty boring huh?

So until my husband gets a raise big enough to match my current salary, or I win the lottery, or one million people buy my book (which is currently only 99 cents) or someone options my book for a film—hey a girl can dream right!—I will continue my writing routine, however often I can… it’s part of my life.

Thanks so much for having me today and allowing me to share a bit of my life with you. If you’d like to read more about my debut novel, TAKING CHANCES, feel free to stop my author page to read the synopsis and first chapter. http://www.loniflowers.com/

Thanks again! Hope you readers enjoyed this as much as I did. Good luck Loni with your writing endeavors and I think your day sounds anything but boring. 

Love,

Danica Page






2 comments:

  1. Interesting article. The article took a lot of thought, which makes reading it more interesting. I may return and take a look at what else you have to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked Loni's guest post. And yes, I thought it also took a lot of thought. Thanks for stopping by.

      ~Danica Page

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)