Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Leah's Choice by Emma Miller

Leah's Choice
by Emma Miller
Received for Review from publisher via Netgalley
Amish Fiction
Release Date: April 17,2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.17
Pages: 224

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:

With dreams of marrying an Old Order Amish man, Leah Yoder plans on raising children in the peaceful Delaware community. But when Mennonite missionary Daniel Brown arrives to share his story with their church, Leah is fascinated by him. She spends time with Daniel in a forbidden courtship to learn how she truly feels about him. Before long, Leah has a choice to make. Should she stay with her community…...or leave with the man she believes God has placed in her life's path?

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, this is the first book I've read by Emma Miller and I can assure you it won't be the last. This book was definitely one of my favorite Amish fiction novels of the year. 

This was in large part due to how much I adored the character Leah and Daniel. I also just loved the mix of Mennonite and Amish themes into this novel. I've read a lot of books about these two groups and I loved that they were mixed together in this novel.

Leah was an intriguing character that I loved reading about. She was such a good person. She was nice, charitable, dutiful, respectful, and daring. She seemed to always be helping somebody else out and yet she was a realistic character that I could relate to. She had her doubts, but she kept pushing forward.

Daniel was another character I really enjoyed reading about. He was so patient with Leah as she tried to figure out the ramifications of their relationship. He also had a peace and serenity. He was confident in his calling in life and his relationship with God. He was just a really good guy that I was rooting for from the very beginning.

The Amish/Mennonite themes were nicely balanced with other themes. Miller did a good job of tying in issues of faith into a cute and inspiring love story that I absolutely adored. Once again the writing appeared to be fairly simple on the surface, but it was actually quite brilliant. Her writing drew me into the story from the very beginning. 

In Summary: Easily one of my favorite Amish fiction novels of the year. Emma Miller's writing drew me in from the very beginning. She weaved characters that I loved into an inspiring and entertaining read that I would definitely read again. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Nothing comes to mind. This one is clean.

The Wrap-up: In case you didn't pick up on this already, I really enjoyed this novel. It is definitely one I'll consider buying. I'd reread this novel and I'm definitely interested in reading more from Emma Miller. 

I was hesitant to read Amish fiction at first, because I thought that I wouldn't be able to relate to this genre at all. I quickly found that I love this genre. Writers like Emma Miller do a great job at bridging the gap. Don't let the differences between Amish/Mennonite culture keep you from reading this genre. You might surprise yourself and actually like the genre. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)