Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Radiate by Marley Gibson


Radiate
by Marley Gibson
Received for Review from publisher via Netgalley
Young Adult Contemporary Realistic fiction
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.23
Pages: 395

Before I get into my review, here is the summary that is available on Goodreads:

Hayley Matthews is determined to be the best cheerleader she can. She works hard and pushes herself 110% all the time.


Then Hayley finds a lump on her leg. The diagnosis is cancer. The prognosis is unclear. She could lose her leg. Or maybe her life.


At first Haley is scared, terrified. In an instant, everything she’s worked for seems out of reach. But Haley is strong. She’s going to fight this disease. She will not let it take her life or her dreams.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank netgalley and the publisher for sending me an e-galley of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Secondly, I'd like to say I was hesitant to read this one. Somebody very close to me was diagnosed with cancer several months ago. This person is now in remission and is expected to make a full recovery. However, ever since then I've avoided reading books or watching movies about cancer. 

This book was an exception. I had heard such beautiful things about this book and decided that I needed to check it out. I started this book not knowing what to expect. I ended up loving it. This book didn't make me cry, instead it left me impressed by how strong people can be. Hayley Matthews endured this whole experience with a grace and a determination that I know I couldn't have possessed while facing such an immense challenge.

The story read so flawlessly. I even had to remind myself at times that I was just reading. It just felt so real. I enjoyed reading this book immensely and know it will stick with me.

In Summary: A poignantly written book that I absolutely adored reading and one that I definitely recommend to fans of young adult realistic contemporary fiction. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Some swearing and instances of strong language and references to alcohol. However, for the most part fairly clean. If overly sensitive to swearing, I wouldn't recommend this for you. 

The Wrap-up: This novel wasn't anything like I thought it would be and yet it was so much better. I think that this novel was powerfully written and beautifully portrayed. 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. Hi I just finished this book today. I thought that it was truly amazing. I was greatly inspired and I hope that I can persuade my friends to read this also.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (322) books (304) Book Review (284) asked to review (181) blogging (135) review (115) meme (113) series (111) writing (98) young adult (95) romance (89) realistic (83) contemporary (79) netgalley (77) fiction (75) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (50) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) new adult (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (24) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) promo (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) 2014 (8) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) standalone novel (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) novella (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)