Monday, May 14, 2012

Book Review: Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi


Tomorrow Land
by Mari Mancusi
Received for Review from the publisher via Netgalley
Young Adult Dystopian
Release Date: March 8, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating:3.58
Pages: 281

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Can true love survive the end of the world?

Imagine finding your first love, only to be ripped apart by the apocalypse. Peyton Anderson will never forget the day she was forced to make a choice--between her family--and Chris Parker, the boy she'd given her heart. Now, four years later, as she steps from the fallout shelter and into a dead and broken world, he's the only thing on her mind.

All Chris "Chase" Parker wanted was to take Peyton away and keep her safe from harm. But he waited for hours in the rain on judgment day and she never showed--breaking his heart without ever telling him why.

Now the two of them have been thrown together once again, reluctant chaperones to a group of orphan children in a post-apocalyptic world where the dead still walk...and feed. As they begin their pilgramage to the last human outpost on Earth, can they find a way to let go of old hurts and find the love they lost--all while attempting to save what's left of the human race?


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I'd like to thank both the publisher and netgalley for allowing me to read this book. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I went into this novel with no expectations. The cover looked intriguing and so I figured I'd might as well read it. But really that was as much as I knew about this one.

I loved the idea of the story and the parallels to 1984. I haven't read 1984 yet, but I feel like those who have would really enjoy the parallels to that book. I've always loved the whole "Persuasion" plot line and this one fit the bill. That was what really cinched my decision to read this one.

I loved the characters Chase and Peyton and thought they were well-developed. I actually liked that the story switched back and forth between the present and the past. However, it resulted in some minor confusion at first. I also loved that we got both perspectives.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. So why three stars?

I felt like the plot was slightly rushed in certain parts where I would have wanted a lot more detail and then I felt like the ending was way too rushed. I wanted the author to slow down and explain what happened and instead I felt like I just got a quick recap. I feel like it would have worth taking a good forty to fifty more pages to flesh that part of the plot out.

However, I really enjoyed this novel and it kept me interested and entertained.

In Summary: A really enjoyable novel that I definitely recommend to fans of the dystopian genre. It was incredibly well-written just slightly rushed.

The Wrap-up: I'm glad I read this one and while I wouldn't buy it, I definitely think that this is one worth reading. I loved the plot and the characters, but I wish the author would have slowed down at the end.

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (324) books (308) Book Review (287) asked to review (184) blogging (135) review (118) meme (113) series (112) writing (98) young adult (97) romance (91) realistic (86) contemporary (82) netgalley (77) fiction (75) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (51) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) new adult (36) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (25) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) promo (11) sophomore novel (11) 2014 (10) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) standalone novel (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) novella (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)