Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Uneasy Fortunes by Mandi Ellsworth


Uneasy Fortunes
by Mandi Ellsworth
Received for Review via publisher via Netgalley
Christian Historical Fiction
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.00
Pages: 240


Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:

Battered by his past, Pete knows he has no business falling for anyone. But when time can’t heal a wound, love steps in to make it right. Based on a true story of the post–Civil War South, this gentle rustic romance will pull you in from the first page and leave you with a renewed hope in the power of real love.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks!

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Like many of the books I've read recently, I went into this one with no expectations. I liked the cover and the fact that this was a historical romance around the Civil War time caught my interest.

I started reading the novel and immediately fell in love with both Pete and June. Pete came from a father who gambled away what would have been Pete's inheritance. He then had to work free for years to pay off the debt. The only problem was he fell in love with the boss' daughter. Good thing she married somebody else. 

Pete left looking for a fresh start and he ran into June's family. Pete was a character that I adored. He was able to overcome his past and was just such a nice guy. He was exactly what Gabe and June needed.

June was placed in a compromising situation by her school teacher years ago and is bitter against men. She doesn't trust them. And she certainly doesn't trust Pete. Her son Gabe begins to love Pete and June has to admit that maybe Pete isn't exactly who she thought he was. But that doesn't mean she trusts him.

I loved watching June and Pete interact. These characters grew so much in this novel. For me, the characters made the novel. Don't get me wrong, the plot, the writing, and the other thematic decisions the author made were incredible. I absolutely loved the world Mandi stuck her characters into. 

However, for me, the characters were my favorite part of the story. I really enjoyed this novel. It was incredible. This was Mandi's debut novel and she certainly has made an impression. I will definitely be keeping tabs on this author. 

In Summary: An adorable novel with characters that I absolutely loved. Mandi's debut novel definitely struck a chord with me. This is one author that I will definitely be waiting for her next work. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book alludes to a rape scene quite frequently. It is not graphic or very detailed at all. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to any teen. 

The Wrap-up: Some of my favorite novels are ones about characters who have a terrible past to overcome and yet they do just that--overcome. That was partly why I loved this novel so much. These characters had endured so much and yet they endured and kept going. I loved that. This novel is definitely one that I want to reread. 

Love,

Danica Page

6 comments:

  1. I liked this one too and I agree with you, it was the characters that made this story so good. I loved Pete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked this one. Pete is definitely lovable. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your great review, Danica! I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed it.

    Just as a side note: my grandmother's experience with her school teacher was the inspiration for June. My grandma had the most amazing life; better than fiction. And every woman deserves a man who treats her as well as Pete treats June, don't you think?

    Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I love learning about what inspires authors to write stories. And yes, I do agree that every woman deserves a man like Pete.

      You are most welcome for the review!

      Delete
  3. I too, LOVE this book! Can't wait to see more written by Mandi!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sums up my opinions. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)