Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book Review: Wish You Were Here by Beth K. Vogt


Wish You Were Here
by Beth K. Vogt
Received for Review from Publisher
Adult Christian Fiction
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.27
Pages: 336

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads: 

Kissing the wrong guy days before her scheduled wedding leads Allison to become a runaway bride. But can it also lead to happily ever after?Allison Denman is supposed to get married in five days, but everything is all wrong. The huge wedding. The frothy dress. And the groom. Still, kissing the groom’s brother, Daniel, in an unguarded moment is decidedly not the right thing to do. How could she have made such a mistake? It seems Allison’s life is nothing but mistakes at this point. Daniel’s adventures—chronicled through a collection of postcards—have always appealed to Allison’s well-hidden desire for something more. But how can betraying her fiancĂ©’s trust lead to a true happily ever after? Can Allison find her way out of this mess? Recognizing she doesn’t have all the answers won’t be easy because she’s used to being in control. To find her way again, she will have to believe that God has a plan for her—one outside her carefully defined comfort zone—and find the strength to let Him lead.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received this book from the publisher (Howard Books) in exchange for my honest opinion. 

My Overall Thought/Impressions: I thoroughly adored this novel. It was touching, hilarious, and just an overall cute read. This was Vogt's debut novel and I for one can't wait to see what this author comes up with next. 


I loved the characters Daniel and Allison from the very start. The very first time they talked together I just fell in love with both of them and how they acted around each other. Granted, that proved to be slightly problematic, because Daniel was the groom's brother and not the groom. I have only seen bits and pieces of the Runaway Bride, but this was a cute spin-off of that movie. 


Beth's writing allowed the story to flow smoothly. I can honestly say that it had me laughing in all the right places. Then she would spin around and make me feel moved almost effortlessly.


The Christian elements of this story never seemed forced and weaved seamlessly into the story. The Christian elements were never preachy or shoved down your throat. I loved when authors can combine religion into a story this subtly.  


The plot, I've already mentioned this briefly, but I adored this plot. Normally, the idea of seeing somebody get jilted isn't something I smile about, but in this case I actually really liked the plot. 


Basically, this novel was a really cute read that I loved reading. I loved Vogt's style, her characters, and her ability to weave a story is definitely admirable. 

In Summary: An adorable read that was both cute and touching. A novel that I loved reading and one that I definitely recommend to anybody and everybody. 


Warnings/Side-notes: Nothing comes to mind. 

The Wrap-up: This was just an extremely cute read that I really enjoyed. However, it also had a depth to it that made me interested in seeing what happened next. An enjoyable read that I really liked and one that I will definitely be placing on my keeper shelf. I would definitely reread this one. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute story! I definitely love to read new authors. Thanks for your review. :)

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is cute. You are most welcome and I agree meeting new authors is lovely.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (324) books (308) Book Review (287) asked to review (184) blogging (135) review (118) meme (113) series (112) writing (98) young adult (97) romance (91) realistic (86) contemporary (82) netgalley (77) fiction (75) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (51) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) new adult (36) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (25) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) promo (11) sophomore novel (11) 2014 (10) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) standalone novel (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) novella (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)