Saturday, June 16, 2012

Book Review: Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson


Flirting Italian
by Lauren Henderson
Received for Review from publisher
Young Adult Fiction
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.56
Release Date: June 12,2012
Pages: 336

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Four girls. One magical, and possibly dangerous Italian summer. Family mysteries, ancient castles, long hot nights of dancing under the stars . . . and, of course, plenty of gorgeous Italian boys!

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel for review from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: In one sentence: A great start to the novel, but one that left me slightly disappointed.

I fell in love with this novel the second I read the title and looked at the cover. Despite the fact that you can't judge a book by it's cover, I often do and usually that doesn't lead me astray.

If you know me, you know I love Italy--and all things Italy--so I went into this novel with high expectations. This novel started out incredibly, but the ending left me disappointed.

Because I feel like the summary doesn't adequately express what this book is about, I'm going to write a quick summary. The novel starts with Violet staring at a painting from a few hundred years ago featuring a female who looks exactly like her. This leaves her mystified and she sets off to Italy to see if she can figure out her connection to the unnamed woman in the painting. 

While there, she attends a type of finishing boarding school ran by an Italian woman named Catia. Her mom isn't thrilled with the idea, but grudgingly decides to let her go. She is joined by a fellow Brit, Kendra, and two American girls, Paige and Kendra. Violet thinks it's going to be the Brits against the Americans until they meet Elisa, Catia's snotty daughter, and the Brits and Americans form a tentative friendship. But who will end up on top? And more importantly who will walk away with the best crush of the summer?

I loved the premise of the novel. The writing was great and the plot line sucked me in. But just when I felt like the novel was building to something amazing...the story ended. Yes, there's going to be a sequel and I'm sure much will be resolved in that novel. But I wanted more to this novel. I spend so much time (270 pages) getting to this incredible moment and then the story ended without any resolution.

Don't get me wrong, the novel was great hence the three stars. I enjoyed every minute of this book, but I would have liked more resolution. I feel like none of the questions I came into the novel with were answered and I left with more answers. Sometimes this is a good thing, but in this case, I don't think it was.

Also, while the characters were well-crafted, I had a little bit of a hard time connecting with them. However, they were interesting and I enjoyed reading about them.  

However, I'd like to mention that this book was a cute, fun read that I enjoyed. I'll probably read the sequel and I bet I'll enjoy it.   

In Summary: A interesting novel that I loved reading. The writing was solid, the characters were intriguing, but the ending was disappointing. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book had some definite sexual references and undertones. This book also said the f word multiple times. It was used sparingly, but there were maybe 8-10 occurrences of this word. Maybe a little bit more, I didn't actually count. 

The Wrap-up: A novel that looked really promising and for the most part was really enjoyable. However, I was dissatisfied with the ending. I felt like there should have been more resolution. I did enjoy this novel though and definitely am curious to see what happens in the sequel.  

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Great review!! I actually was really liking this book until the end!! The ending really bothered me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you liked my review. I felt the same way. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)