Monday, June 11, 2012

Book Review: Justice (Deck of Lies, #1) by Jade Varden


Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
by Jade Varden
Received for Review from author
Young Adult
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.18
Release Date: December 11, 2011
e-book

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads:

A House of Cards...

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day. 

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding. 

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet. 

I just hope I can survive the crash. 

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this book for review from the author in exchange for my honest opinions. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I didn't really know what to expect going into this novel. I read the first five pages and found my mind whirling in a million different directions as I tried to figure out what was going to happen next.

I never could have guessed the direction this novel would go. I found myself getting drawn into the story more and more with each page I read. Rain Ramey, the main character of the story, was one that I loved getting to know more about. The more I read about her the more I liked her. That's not to say I didn't want to hit her over the head at times, because I did.

However, as much as I liked Rain, I loved Rivers. From the moment Rain met him, I really liked him and I did throughout the entire novel. I still do. 

Varden's writing was compelling and left me thoroughly entertained. And that ending, man did that ending kill me. I have to know what happens next. I wouldn't say her ending is a cliff-hanger exactly, but it definitely left me dying to read what happens next. 

I have all these thoughts and suspicions and I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened. Any novel that can do that ranks high in my book. 

In Summary: Varden wove a compelling tale that sucked me in from the beginning. This novel offers a brilliant start to what I think is a promising new series. 

The Wrap-up: In other words, Justice is a great new start to a great new series. Varden's writing was compelling and definitely drew me in. I definitely can't wait to see what Varden does with her sequel.  

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)