Saturday, June 16, 2012

Book Review: One for the Murphys By Lynda Mullaly Hunt


One for the Murphys
by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Received for Review
Young Adult Fiction
Release Date: May 10,2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.5
Pages: 224

Before I get into my review here's the summary from Goodreads:

A moving debut novel about a foster child learning to open her heart to a family's love.

Carley uses humor and street smarts to keep her emotional walls high and thick. But the day she becomes a foster child, and moves in with the Murphys, she's blindsided. This loving, bustling family shows Carley the stable family life she never thought existed, and she feels like an alien in their cookie-cutter-perfect household. Despite her resistance, the Murphys eventually show her what it feels like to belong--until her mother wants her back and Carley has to decide where and how to live. She's not really a Murphy, but the gifts they've given her have opened up a new future.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received this book for review as part of the Debut Author Challenge Blog Tour in exchange for my honest review. Thanks Tara and Lisa. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: In one sentence: A poignant read that drew me in from the start. This book was nothing like I thought it would be and yet it was ten times better. I've always loved this genre and even thought it was about a younger girl, I found myself falling in love with the story. 

Hunt's debut novel definitely is one of the best realistic contemporary fiction novels I've read this year. Hunt created an all-star cast from even the most minor character to the main character Carley. I found myself thoroughly entertained by all of the characters and loved nearly all of them. 

Carley was a character that I really liked. She's been in an abusive situation and yet she is still so caring and such a good person. Naturally, she's got her "issues" but she was a character that left me smiling and one that I loved reading about.

Mrs. Murphy was amazing. There is no other way to say it. I admired her from the moment Hunt introduced her in the novel. However, like I mentioned earlier, all of the characters in this book were fantastic.

The writing was fantastic. Hunt wrote in a compelling manner that left me feeling like I really was in Carley's head. I felt connected with her and consequently the whole story. The story flowed nicely and didn't lag. Definitely an amazing read. Read this one you won't regret it. 

In Summary: A beautiful novel that I loved reading. Captivating characters, an intriguing plot,  and a poignant writing style made for a brilliant read. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book deals with violence and abuse, but in a manner that I won't hesitate to recommend this to anybody despite their age. 

The Wrap-up: Books about abuse have always held a soft spot for me. I feel like this is an issue that people don't talk about enough. Abuse is real and its effects are life-altering and traumatic for the victims. I loved that Hunt focused on this theme and admired the way she tackled writing this tale. It was beautiful and I loved reading it. 

Love,

Danica Page



2 comments:

  1. tnx 4the honest review
    i long for this book
    just have to wait a while for the pb version
    hard backs r pricy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that. It's the worst waiting for a book to be paperback.

      Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you liked the review!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)