Saturday, July 21, 2012

Blog Tour/Book Review: Dangerous Past by A.F. Ebbers


Hello Readers,

Today I'm pleased to be a part of the Reading Addiction Blog Tour blog tour for A.F. Ebbers' book Dangerous Past which will be released as an e-book in September of this yearAs part of this tour, I'll be sharing a guest post from A.F. Ebbers and reviewing his novel. To read his guest post, click here.

Before we get into my review, here's Ebbers' bio:

A. F. Ebbers, a journalism graduate of Ohio University was a reporter/writer for major newspapers, ad agencies, and in public relations for Cessna Aircraft Company.  He also graduated from Army Flight School and flew for the Ohio and Kansas Army National Guards. Later he was called to active duty and served two flying tours in Vietnam. After retirement from the military, he flew for corporations and for regional airlines. A dual rated ATP pilot, he has written for numerous national magazines, Sunday supplements and trade and travel magazines and has written screenplays and short stories. Today he lives with his wife in the Austin, Texas area and, when not writing, enjoys tennis, flying and piano. Dangerous Past is his debut novel.

About writing.  I write realistically about what I have experienced.  Most of the places in this novel are real because I’ve been there: from Vietnam to Europe to Asia to Washington to Texas and most places in-between.  I create characters using a combination of real and imaginary personalities.  My motto for writing fiction is always write what you know.

Before I share my thoughts on the novel, here's the synopsis:

Airline Captain Frank Braden and his wife Nicole are suddenly stalked by professional assassins who have a deadline to make their deaths look like an accident or a suicide. And the couple doesn't know why they are being targeted. They don't realize that they stand in the way of a deadly conspiracy. Little by little they are pulled into a dangerous web of intrigue by a murderous criminal network that deceptvely offers the pilot his wife's life if he will concede to their demands. This is a thriller that rocks the highest levels of Washington. 

My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this book for review as part of the Reading Addiction Tour. I didn't receive any compensation for this review, but the review host was paid to set up the tour. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. I didn't receive any compensation and wasn't obligated to write a good review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: 

I went into this story blind. I had no idea what to expect and hadn't really heard anything about it. But it was a suspense/thriller novel. If you know me, you know I love this genre. Plus, it was about planes. I have an odd fascination with planes.

I started reading and was stunned when the novel opened with the murder of protagonist Frank Braden's borther thirty years ago in Vietnam. He then launched into a vivid and intense attempt to keep a plane hit with a bomb from crashing and killing the hundred passengers onboard.

But instead of being a hero, the FBI accuses Frank of being a suicide bomber who wanted to make a statement with his death. Somebody out there wants Frank dead and there is a time bomb ticking. They need him dead sooner rather than later.

As this unknown assailant attacks Frank, he must prove to the FBI and even to his wife that somebody wants him dead and that he's not trying to commit suicide. 

I love thriller novels. Ebbers' novel read quickly and kept me riveted. I found myself thoroughly engaged as I tried to untangle the plot line and figure out what was going to happen next. If you love engaging novels that leave you breathless, read this one.

The writing was solid and I loved the characters. I gave this a 3.5 because while it was a great read I still felt like the plot could have been more developed. It was thoroughly engaging, but it missed that extra something to bump this up to a 4 star book. I still really liked this book and recommend reading it, especially if you love history and novels about Vietnam.

The way Ebbers' interwove the Vietnam war into his current day novel was incredible. Definitely recommend to history buffs like I said earlier.

In Summary: A well-written thriller novel that brilliantly interweaves the horrors that occurred during Vietnam with the current day. A novel that is bound to leave you on your feet. 

Warnings/Side-notes: One or two instances of strong language. Violence, but it's not graphic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one based on content. 

The Wrap-up: A very enjoyable read. I read this one in one sitting and was thoroughly entertained the entire time. I love this genre and read a lot in this genre. However, this novel was still an enjoyable read. I'm thrilled that I got the chance to read this one. 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. nice information keep it up best of luk! nice working i love your work stay

    happy:)
    Airlines Contacts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)