Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Review: The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski


The Annihilation of Foreverland 
by Tony Bertauski
Received for Review from author
Young Adult Science Fiction/Dystopia
Release Date: December 1, 2011
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.99

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:

When kids awake on an island, they’re told there was an accident. Before they can go home, they will visit Foreverland, an alternate reality that will heal their minds. Reed dreams of a girl that tells him to resist Foreverland. He doesn’t remember her name, but knows he once loved her. He’ll have to endure great suffering and trust his dream. And trust he’s not insane. Danny Boy, the new arrival, meets Reed’s dream girl inside Foreverland. She’s stuck in the fantasy land that no kid can resist. Where every heart’s desire is satisfied. Why should anyone care how Foreverland works? Together, they discover what it’s really doing to them.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a electronic copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Intense. Brilliantly written. Dramatic. Suspenseful. Those are all words that come to mind when thinking about this novel. 

I started into this novel not really knowing what to expect. It had been a long time since I read the synopsis, because it unfortunately took a long time to get to this one. But the second I started reading this, I was hooked.

Tony did a great job at creating characters and a world that intrigued me from the get-go. One of my favorite characters was Reed. I was drawn to him from the moment he was introduced.

This novel was darker than I expected but thoroughly addicting. I couldn't stop turning the pages with this one. I kept trying to figure out the plot, but the ending left me surprised. I love books that can do that. I feel so often I read a book and know exactly what is going to happen. This book was not like that--it kept me guessing until the very end.

This novel was a compelling read from a great writer. The character development was fantastic, the plot line engaging, and the writing fantastic. If you like dystopian novels/sci-fi (The Starters, etc), then read this one. 

In Summary: A read that I thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely a fresh book in the dystopian market. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Some swearing and a little on the dark side, but thoroughly clean other than that. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The Wrap-up: A novel that I'm thrilled that I read. It was an enjoyable read that like I said I recommend to any dystopian fans. And I absolutely adore the cover, great choice on changing it. 

Love,

Danica Page


2 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh, adding this to my TBR list right now! I can't believe this is the first I've heard of this one. I LOVE the influx of sci-fi books in YA right now. It's one of my favorite genres that's been neglected for too long. :) Thank you for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I brought this to your attention. I'm glad you liked my review.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)