Sunday, July 8, 2012

Book Review: Burn by Heath Gibson


Burn
by Heath Gibson
Received for Review from publisher via Netgalley
Release Date: August 8, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.25
Pages: 264

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads:

All it takes is one spark
William Tucker loves being a volunteer firefighter (maybe it's no coincidence that a pastor's son would enjoy saving people). And after he rescues his crush, Mandy Pearman, she undergoes a profound transformation for the better. In fact, it seems like a lot of good comes from the embers of tragedy in his small Alabama town. William may not be able to meet his father's expectations, force his mother to ditch the gin, or protect his gay brother, but for those who need a second chance at life, William isn't afraid to light the match--and become the hero the town needs.
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 
Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for my honest review. 
Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I really don't know what to make of this book. That sounds bad, but it isn't. I liked the writing style and I liked the overall idea. I just hated the idea of William setting fires. That was one thing that I just couldn't get past.
This was a hard thing for me to deal with because other than that I liked William as a character. He was a good guy except he set fires. I couldn't quite handle the disconnect and I left the novel feeling bugged because I couldn't decide what to make of him. William was called "Wee Wee" because he was so short. Ouch. In the first chapter, he got turned down by his crush because he was too short. Double ouch. Add his somewhat dysfunctional family and you've got a triple ouch. 
One character that I really liked was Samantha. That girl had attitude but a good heart. She wasn't ashamed to make her opinions known loud and care. I got the feeling that she just didn't care what others thought. She was going to do what she thought was right no matter what. She was one character that I really liked. 
Additionally, I enjoyed Gibson's writing style. He created a compelling story that drew me in. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one or not, but on the whole it was an enjoyable read. I really felt like I was in William's head and that he was narrating the story. I always love stories that make me forget the author is writing.
On the whole, I liked the novel; I just didn't like certain aspects of the plot. 
In Summary: A novel that was compelling and well-written, but one that left me bugged. I guess that's a sign of good writing--the author wrote a tale that is still bugging me a week later. 
Warnings/Side-notes: There is definitely a sexual undertone to the novel. Not a ton of swearing, but definitely not a novel with clean language. There was also a gay character in this story. This novel wasn't clean, but definitely not filthy. This isn't one, however, that I'd recommend to young readers or those who are overly sensitive. 
The Wrap-up: An enjoyable read that I recommend to those who don't mind a  main character who may or may not be the hero. He's the antihero I guess. However, I really did enjoy this one. 
Love,
Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Hi, great blog! I am a new follower from GoodReads and would love a follow back!
    http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm glad you like my blog and thanks for the follow. I returned the favor.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)