Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Review: A Man of Honor by Loree Lough


A Man of Honor
(First Responders Series, #3)
by Loree Lough
Reveived for Review
Adult Christian Romantic Suspense
Release Date: August 1, 2012
Pages: 304

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis that's available on Goodreads:

On a steamy spring morning, Dusty Parker part-time pastor, part-time search-and-rescue team member, and full-time administrator of a school for troubled boys joins the search for a missing teenage girl. He partners with volunteer and inner-city school teacher Grace Sinclair, and what they find bonds them in ways neither could have expected. As they begin to build their lives together, a visitor from the past causes Dusty and Grace to further open their hearts and home. But a threat is looming on their seemingly perfect lives and in one terrifying night, everything changes.

My Rating: 3.5 stars (It would have been a 4 if not for the ending).

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: This is the second book I've read by Loree Lough and I've had mixed feelings about both of them. The books are always so wonderful and I love them and then I reach the end and I leave feeling deeply dissatisfied.

Like I mentioned earlier, the strength of Loree's novels is her characters. She creates character who pull on my emotions in the most poignant ways. I adored the characters. They were quirky and brilliantly developed. I was able to connect with them instantly and found myself rooting for them from the very beginning. Grace and Dusty were an interesting couple to read about and I loved learning more about both of them. 

While the plot and world building isn't quite as good as the character development, both the plot and the world are still fantastic. Lough does a terrific job at creating a world that draws me in from the very beginning. This novel was no exception. The novel opened with the Search and Rescue Team trying to find a girl missing from prom, they found her, but unfortunately dead. This beginning didn't play a large role in the story other than it brought the two main characters together, and yet I didn't mind.

This novel is definitely more character-driven than plot-driven. However, I felt the story line was compelling in it's own right. 

The novel was a solid 4 maybe even a 4.5 until the end. I don't want to give anything away. So I'm just going to say I didn't like the ending. It was masterfully written and technically there was nothing wrong with it. I really shouldn't knock the book down because of the ending, but I'm going to because I would have liked the novel much better if she had ended it differently. 

In Summary: A brilliantly written novel with characters that I absolutely adored. Loree Lough ranks among the best when it comes to character development. I just wished the book had ended differently. 

The Wrap-up: A great read. If you like romantic suspense, then check this one out. It's very well-written and was very enjoyable. 

Love,
Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)