Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Tour: Book Review- Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis

Hello Readers,

Today I'm pleased to be part of the Persephone Blog Tour hosted by Rachel Marks. Persephone is Kaitlin Bevis' second novel and was published on July 6,2012.  As part of this tour, I'll be posting my review and a guest post. To read the guest post click here


Before I get into my review, here is some information about the author:

Kaitlin Bevis spent her childhood curled up with a book, and a pen. If the ending didn't agree with her, she rewrote it. She's always wanted to be a writer, and spent high school and college learning everything she could so that one day she could achieve that goal. She graduated college with my BFA in English with a concentration in Creative Writing, and is pursuing her masters at the University of Georgia.


Her young adult fiction novel "Persephone," will be released this summer. She also writes for Athens Parent Magazine, and truuconfessions.com.

Author's Links:


Now here's the summary available on Goodreads:

There are worse things than death, worse people too



The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.


And now for my review.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book as part of the blog tour in exchange for my honest review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I need to confess that this is the sixth book I've read on Persephone in the last six months. So after going my whole life without reading a book on Persephone, I've now read six.

All of them have been wonderful and incredibly different. I'm amazed by the different approaches author's take on this one myth. I have loved all of the retellings I've read so far, so I had high hopes for this one.

I wasn't disappointed. Bevis' retelling was original, compelling, and brilliantly written. From the moment I started reading, the story drew me in. Who was this girl who was hearing her name being called in the wind? Would this god Boreas succeed in capturing her? What did he want with her? And most importantly, what would happen between Hades and Persephone?

I love stories about Hades and Persephone, and this was no exception. it was intriguing to watch the dynamics between them. And Bevis managed to take an intriguing approach on their relationship as well.

Bevis' Underworld was one of the most researched that I've ever read. If you know your Greek mythology, you will love this one. I will confess that I don't know much about Greek mythology, but I still loved all the details she included. 

This was a great start to a new series that has definitely caught my attention. The premise of a modern day retelling of Persephone is not an easy one to sell, but Bevis masterfully rose to the challenge. 

In Summary: An intriguing and compelling retelling of Persephone that is original and also thoroughly entertaining. Definitely recommend this to fans of Greek mythology. 

The Wrap-up: Bevis' masterfully undertook this novel and caught my attention from the very beginning. With characters that you will love and a plot line that is bound to keep you flipping the pages, Bevis' novel Persephone is a must-read. 

Love,

Danica Page

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to read this book, but i was bolt from the blue after i found that this was an e-book! I wonder if this book will come out as a paperback one. I really love myth stories especially abou Hades and Persephone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is annoying. I don't have an e-book reader and I do hate reading these on my computer all the time. Maybe, it's time to cave and buy an ebook reader already.

      I also love Hades and Persephone retellings. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)