Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Book Review: The Goddess Legacy by Aimee Carter


The Goddess Legacy
(Goddess Test, #2.5)
by Aimee Carter
Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal/Mythology
Received for Review
Release Date: July 31,2012
Average Goodreads Rating:4.22
Pages: 395

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.

Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness….

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal….

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another….

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others#151;but never knew true loss before….

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope….

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Wow! I wish I had read this before I read Goddess Test. I enjoyed Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted, but I hated that I didn't know so much about what had happened to the other characters.

I felt like Persephone might have been a flat character in Goddess Interrupted and I was dying to know more about James and Henry. This novel was everything I wanted it to be. I loved getting the back story.

Suddenly Hera became understandable...even somebody you could pity.

Persephone became dynamic. She came to live. 

James and Henry became even more compelling. 

Basically, this story opened up the story for me and made me excited to read the third one. Yes, the second one ended on a cliff-hanger and so naturally I have to read the third one. But this novel made me more excited to read the third one.

I wish that more of this would have been included in her mainstream story, but I understand why it wasn't. 

The writing read similarly to her main stories. I think fans of the series will love this addition. To those who were disappointed with the series, this novel might help you view the series in a slightly better light.

The pacing was slow in some areas, but on the whole I really enjoyed it.  Each time I finished one of the five novellas, I was positive that I couldn't like the next one as much as the one I had just read.

And each time, I was thrilled to discover that the new story had sucked me in. The stories are compelling, dramatic, and thoroughly enlightening.

In Summary: Carter's addition to her series made me appreciate the series more than I had before. Each one of the stories was compelling and left me captivated. 

The Wrap-up: I gave this a four because like I mentioned the stories sometimes dragged on and there were some other minor things that bugged me.

Also, I hate that this book was necessary in order for me to like Goddess Inheritance. But this addition was compelling and I'm glad I got to read it. 

Love,

Danica Page



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)