Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Book Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry


Pushing the Limits
by Katie McGarry
Received for Review
Young Adult Realistic/Contemp
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.36
Pages:384
Release Date:July 31,2012

Before I get to my review, here's the synopsis that's available on Goodreads.


No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.


Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received this book for review as part of the DAC tour. Thanks Lisa and Tara.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I had heard really good things about this book going into it so I had really high expectations.

That's always dangerous. This book was nothing like I thought it would be, it was ten times better. 

Echo and Noah were two characters who drew me in. Their stories, their personalities, their struggles, everything made them compelling to read about. 

I generally don't like novels that have two first person narratives. This one made me rethink that prejudice. Both of the characters had such a strong voice that I never had to question whose perspective I was reading from.

The novel had a depth to it that I did not expect. I thought this novel would be a fairly shallow and forgettable book about a popular girl who fell from grace and fell for a unpopular bad boy.

That barely touches the surface of this novel. This novel was genuine and made me think about the way I view the world. This was a book that was all-consuming. I couldn't stop thinking about this book.

To those who like contemporary young adult realistic fiction with heavier subjects with incredible prose and compelling characters who face real problems you will love this book. 

And I'll join the ranks, I'm definitely crushing on Noah too. 

In Summary: McGarry's debut novel is nothing shy of brilliant. She masterfully combines the plot of a popular girl's fall from grace and a good girl falling for the boy from the wrong side of the tracks and breathes life into both of these cliched topics. Her characters are compelling, the plot intriguing, and the novel absolutely captivating. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Lots of swearing and sexual tension. This is definitely for more mature young adult readers. However, it wasn't crude. I really liked this one. 

The Wrap-up: I love this book. McGarry is definitely an author I'll be keeping tabs on. An incredible debut that I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read. Definitely recommend this one to anybody and everybody. One of my favorite young adult novels of the year. And easily, one that I'd consider buying even though I've already read it.  

Love,

Danica Page


2 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this book so far. I don't normally do a whole ton of contemporary, but I'm definitely gonna give this one a read. Glad to hear you loved it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love contemporary but this is one I probably wouldn't have read either, but I heard so many good things about it. I'm glad I read it. It was amazing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)