Monday, August 6, 2012

Book Review: The Romanov Conspiracy by Glenn Meade


The Romanov Conspiracy
by Glenn Meade
Received for Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.68
Pages: 492
Release Date: August 7,2012

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

From the internationally bestselling author of The Second Messiah—an intriguing thriller about an archeologist who discovers new clues to the mysterious disappearance of Princess Anastasia. Dr. Laura Pavlov is a member of an international team digging on the outskirts of the present-day Russian city of Ekaterinburg, where the Romanov royal family was executed by its captors in July 1918.     

When Dr. Pavlov discovers two bodies perfectly preserved in permafrost in a mineshaft, she discovers dramatic new clues to the disappearance of the Romanovs, and in particular their famous daughter Princess Anastasia, whose murder has always been in doubt. What Pavlov learns will change the accepted course of world history and hurl her back into the past—and into a maelstrom of secrets and lies.    The Romanov Conspiracy is a high-tension story of trust and betrayal, of a fight between good and evil, and of love and friendship, set in one of the most bloody and brutal revolutions in world history.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an arc of this book from the publisher, Howard Books (a division of Simon and Schuster) in exchange for my honest opinion. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Wow! Just wow! That's all I really need to say about this book. I adored everything about this book. It is easily one of my favorites of the year.

I feel like the synopsis accurately describes maybe 18% of the novel if not less. In the first thirty pages, Dr. Pavlov does discover two bodies perfectly preserved in permafrost that leads to her discovery of the Romanov conspiracy; however, most of the novel is told as if the characters from 1918 were telling the story themselves.

The first thirty pages were great, but not spectacular. The rest of the novel was mind-blowing. 

I absolutely adored the story that Meade created because it was gripping, compelling, and addicting. I didn't just devour this book, the novel consumed me. I couldn't think of anything else. I read for hours and then realized I hadn't eaten all day. However, I couldn't stop reading.  

I loved all of the characters in this novel. I won't take the time to list them. But they all seemed so realistic. They didn't all get the happy ending I wanted them to have either, which made Meade's novel more realistic and also more heart-breaking.

I could gush about this book for hours. But I'm just going to say I adored this book. Don't just read this one, buy this one. You will absolutely adore it. I love mystery, thriller, action books and this book ranks among the best I've ever read. 

In Summary: I can't find the words to adequately express how truly incredible this book is. This book consumed me. I couldn't think of anything else. Definitely worth buying. 

The Wrap-up: This book was one that I was sad to finish. It was so incredible that I couldn't bear the thought of parting with it. I will definitely be stalking...I mean keeping tabs on...this author. In case you can't tell, I LOVE LOVE LOVED this novel. Go buy it right now!

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Um, yes please! I used to be mildly obsessed with Russian history/literature/culture, etc. So I'm pretty sure from the synopsis and your glowing review that I am going to love this book. Thanks for letting us know about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also mildly obsessed with Russia. I blame it on my love for Crime and Punishment and Anna Karenina not to mention Disney's Anastasia.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)