Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book Review: Saving June by Hannah Harrington


Saving June
by Hannah Harrington
Received for Review
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Release Date: May 1,2011
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.11
Pages: 336

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads:

‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going, California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I was really excited to read this one. I had heard amazing things about it and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. 

I love this type of book. A book involving travel a "bad boy" who really isn't as bad as you think and a girl who just feels lost, usually from feeling like she's living in her perfect sister's shadows until suddenly that sister isn't so perfect anymore. Plus, this book was highly centered on music and for some reason books about music just seem to always be incredible. 

It was set up to be an incredible novel and I couldn't wait to see if Harrington met my expectations.

She exceeded them. This novel blew me away. It's been three weeks since I read this one and I still am absolutely in love with Harrington's characters and her writing style. Her prose was beautiful and drew me in from the first page.

This novel is easily one of my favorites of the entire year. I know I've already touched upon the plot, the characters, and the writing style, but now I'm going to go in to more detail.

I loved Harper Scott. Yes, she was rough around the edges but I couldn't help but root for her. And then there was Jake, how could you not like Jake. He was just incredible. 

This book left me feeling nearly every emotion possible; it made me want to laugh, cry, and at times left me absolutely furious. Any book that elicits such an emotional response is easily one I love.

In Summary: Hannah Harrington's debut novel is beautifully addicting and is bound to leave readers breathless. I adored everything about this book and definitely it recommend it to everybody. Definitely one worth reading. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book is a little rough around the edges. There are mentions of drugs, sex, suicide, and strong language. However, the sexual references were fairly vague and not too descriptive. This book wasn't clean, but neither was it filthy. I'd have no qualms about recommending this to mature teen readers.

The Wrap-up: I can't believe it took me so long to write this review, because I loved this book. It was beautiful and exceeded my expectations. Like I mentioned earlier, this book blew me away. Read this one. You won't regret it. This is one that I could easily see myself buying and reading again and again. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Saving June sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review :) I definitely want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)