Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book Review: The Wedding Cake Girl by Anne Pfeffer

Hello Readers,


Today I'm thrilled to be reviewing Anne Pfeffer's The Wedding Cake Girl. I love Anne's writing style and so naturally I was ecstatic to read her sophomore novel which was recently released. You can buy here novel by clicking here. And I highly recommend you do. But I'm getting ahead of myself.


Here's my review.


The Wedding Cake Girl
by Anne Pfeffer
Received for Review
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.6
Pages: 278

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Seventeen year old Alexandra spends so much time helping others realize their dreams that she never has time for her own. An expert ocean diver and reluctant maker of wedding cakes, she longs to leave roses and frosting behind to study oceanography. Alex’s mother won’t have it—needy and dependent, Mom can’t run the family wedding cake business on her own. 

No matter what Alex does, things only get worse for her. When she risks her life to save a tourist while scuba diving and becomes the local hero, Mom's angry with Alex for going diving at all. Mom also discourages Alex's new friendship with the insanely wealthy Jeremy, a fun boy with a secret. Then, Alex's best friend, Zack, a hunky island guy, starts to take an interest in her as well. The problem is, he's dating another girl.

As Alex struggles to learn where she stands between her two difficult and confusing Prince Charmings, it occurs to her that maybe what she really needs is a Prince Charming for Mom. If she doesn't do something, she will make cakes all her life and die in her "Sue's Wedding Cakery" apron with a spatula in her hand. 

This story features a colorful island setting, dangerous underwater diving adventures,a family of billionaires, and lots and lots of buttercream. It is Alex's journey toward not only finding love, but learning how to step forward and take control of her own life, a rite of passage that faces all young readers.

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. (I was debating with 4.5, but who am I kidding, I'll pump it to 5.) 

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this novel from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Like I mentioned earlier, I love Anne Pfeffer's writing style. I read Any Other Night (back when it was called Loving Emily) and adored it, so naturally I was psyched to read this one.

Anne was even better than I remembered, or she's improved greatly which would be hard to do considering she was so incredible the first time.

Unbelievable. I am still mystified by how much I loved this novel. Everything was absolutely brilliant. I think it would be a shorter list to say things I didn't like than to list the things I loved about this novel. In fact, I can't think of anything I didn't like...other than the fact it ended I guess.

Anne is a master at crafting characters who I can connect to from the very beginning. Alex was a beautifully constructed character and one that I was rooting for from the beginning. Alex wants to go to college and live her dreams but she also wants to help her mom. It's no easy task. 

All of the supporting characters were just as well-crafted. I couldn't find a stock character or a flat character. Easily an A+ cast of characters.

Don't get me started on the writing style. It flowed seamlessly and beautifully. I love writing styles that don't draw undue attention to themselves. What I mean is that there isn't one particular sentence of section where you stop and think that was beautiful. Instead, it's beautiful in its simplicity. You finish the novel and think wow that was some incredible writing.

That's exactly how I felt about this novel. I loved the way it began, the way it progressed, and the way it ended. I just loved everything about this one.

This novel felt very realistic to me and I definitely adored it. In case you couldn't tell, I'm raving about this book. It's only $2.99 on Amazon. That's quite the steal. Easily one of my favorite realistic contemporary novels of the year, right up there with Saving June by Hannah Harrington. (That's not to say they are similar, because they aren't at all. But I really did love both of them).

Plus, as icing on the cake, this genre is one of my favorites. I love reading about teenagers overcoming family issues and discovering themselves. Sounds morbid, but it's true. 

In Summary: Anne Pfeffer is easily becoming one of my favorite authors in the young adult realistic contemporary genre. Her writing is always poignant, always beautiful, and always filled with meaningful messages that readers would be wise to take to heart. With an ability to create characters that leave you cheering for them and an ability to craft a story with seamless prose, Pfeffer's novels are nothing short of incredible.

Warnings/Side-notes: Actually fairly clean. This novel does have a LGBT character, but it didn't bother me in the slightest. Some sexual references but they are in the background of the story. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one. 

The Wrap-up: I don't even know what else to say other than to reiterate the fact that I LOVE LOVED LOVED this novel. And yes, that deserved to be written in all caps. Anne Pfeffer is a brilliant author and her stories are must-reads. At the beginning of this post, I linked to Amazon. Trust me and buy this one, especially if you love this genre. You definitely will not regret it. 

I know that as for me personally, I can't wait to see what this brilliant writer comes up with next. You can bet I'll read it. 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a fantastic read! I have Anne's Any Other Night on my pile that I hope to read soon. I'm glad to hear she's become one of your favourite authors! Really great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)