Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Book Review: What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor


What I Didn't Say
by Keary Taylor
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Received for Review
Release Date: April 30,2012
Average Goodreads Rating:4.04
ebook

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. 

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this book via Netgalley in exchange for sharing my honest opinions about what I read.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I read this book awhile ago and am really late in writing this review but I remember this book because it stuck out to me.

I went in with pretty low expectations. I expected the novel to be enjoyable, a quick read, but one that wouldn't be very memorable. I was definitely mistaken. As I mentioned, this book stuck out in my mind. Even though it's been a month since I read it, I feel like this book is very much in my mind.

Let's start out with the characters Jake and Samantha.I didn't expect to like Jake. He is a guy who gets in a car crash while driving drunk...not exactly something that makes me like a guy. But Jake really was a great guy. As he struggled to deal with the knowledge that he won't ever be able to talk again, my heart broke for him. I felt myself watching as he grew up throughout the course of the novel. He was a character I loved reading about.

Then there was Samantha. I just loved her character. Like Jake, she was going through so much. I loved watching her deal with her own problems. I won't be more specific because I don't want to give the plot away. But her story really was heartbreaking.

Most of all I loved watching Jake and Samantha interact with each other. I loved watching Sam and Jake become better when they were with each other.

Above all, I loved that his was told from Jake's perspective. So often, I read from girl's point of views so I loved getting inside Jake's head. I enjoyed Keary's writing style, but it was the character and the plot that stuck with me.

If you like to read coming of age stories set in the ya genre where characters have to overcome huge trials, then this is the book for you.

In Summary: Keary's novel was one that touched me and left an impact. It's one I won't ever forget reading. Beautiful characters combined with an intense plot line make this a must-read.

Warnings/Side-notes: Drug and alcohol references. A lot of sexual tension, but overall this novel is very clean. I really appreciated that. Language is also clean.

The Wrap-up: A novel that exceeded my expectations. I loved reading this one. It is definitely one I recommend. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book before, but I'm definitely adding it to my list. I also LOVE reading stories from the male perspective because they're more rare in YA. Can't wait to pick this up. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true. Male's perspective is always a plus.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)