Monday, December 31, 2012

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Where She Went
(If I Stay, #2)
by Gayle Forman
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Released: April 5,2011 by Dutton Juvenile
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.19
Pages: 264

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I read If I Stay a few months after it was originally published and wanted to read the sequel from the moment it was released. 

However, it wasn't at my library and I didn't want to buy it in hardback, so when I saw it was in paperback I eventually caved and bought it.

I was worried that I would feel lost as it had been so long since I had read If I Stay. That wasn't the case. Everything quickly came rushing back and I was hooked from the first page to the last page.

Hearing Adam's side of the story was incredibly enjoyable. His voice was different than Mia's, and yet it still was beautiful and so lyrical. I love how Gayle can plan us in a character's mind that when we bounce from the present to the past and then back to the present we never feel lost.

I love learning what events have led a character to be who they are and Gayle does an amazing job at accomplishing that very feat. 

I loved If I Stay and was worried that Where She Went wouldn't live up to my expectations. I shouldn't have worried; this novel surpassed my expectations. It was unexpectedly profound and moving.

Forman's novels are always an emotional ride, but I always feel uplifted when I finish them. This novel was absolutely brilliant. 

She shows up that characters can make a story. There isn't much of a plot line in her novels and yet they are still incredible. 

I also love how she started each chapter with Adam's lyrics and I loved how they always tied into that chapter. 

In Summary: Forman has created another masterpiece that is bound to touch readers, entertain them, and take leave them one emotional ride later. Forman's characters are always so realistic and easy to relate to, her writing is always beautiful, and her plot is always incredible. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel talks about drugs and sex. However, it is referenced so vaguely that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to anybody.  

The Wrap-up: Basically, this novel was a beautiful read that was definitely an emotional reader. I didn't cry but I know several people who did cry during this book. This novel is realistic contemporary at it's best. 

Forman is an author that I will definitely be keeping tabs on. 

Love,

Danica Page


6 comments:

  1. Oh my this sounds so good, and i haven't read book one either..in fact I've never heard of them! so glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you haven't heard of this series. It is fantastic. Definitely check it out.

    Thanks for sharing and I'm glad my review could help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read this series, I keep hearing about it and seeing nothing but really great reviews yet I still haven't picked it up. Hopefully this is the year I'll give this series a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it. Sorry as I was out of the country, I just got to responding to your comment.

      Delete
  4. I've really enjoyed If I Stay but I'm thinking of not reading this one because I feel like the story of Mia and Adam has ended at the end of that book. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the story could end at the end of If I stay. I really did enjoy this novel, but I could see why you wouldn't want to continue.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)