Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Books I've Read in 2012


~Top Ten Tuesday~

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. Everyone can participate just head on over to their blog and sign up. Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday.

Top Ten Books  I've read in 2012


This one was hard. I've read so many great books, but I guess I'll choose these ten. These aren't in particular order. 


1. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi- I loved this one. The sequel won't come soon enough. Here is an excerpt from my review of this novel.  

I loved Aria and Perry. I loved that they both were strong, but they were also vulnerable. Aria is in a land she doesn't know and somehow manages to stay strong. That's impressive. And then Perry...definitely makes the list of guys I would crush on. He's not a bad boy, but has just enough badness to appease somebody who is suffering from bad boy syndrome.


2. Starters by Lissa Price-I also really loved this one. This was a book I read on a whim and boy am I glad I did. Like the first one, the sequel to this one won't come soon enough. Here's an excerpt from my review of this novel.

I loved the premise of this novel and the way she executed the novel. This was one novel that I always found myself asking what was going to happen next. Every time I thought I had the plot figured out, she would insert some twist that was surprising but inevitable. 


3. Twitterpated by Melanie Jacboson- A cute chick lit novel. Yes I know but this one was hilarious. Seriously, I was laughing the entire time. Definitely cute. Here's my excerpt:

I don't know if it deserves five or four stars, but I'm going to give it five because I know at least ten people I'm recommending this one too and I'm definitely keeping this on my bookshelf.

4. Pushing Limits by Katie McGarry-To be honest, I really didn't expect to like this one. But I really did. Definitely one of my favorite debut novels this year.

McGarry's debut novel is nothing shy of brilliant. She masterfully combines the plot of a popular girl's fall from grace and a good girl falling for the boy from the wrong side of the tracks and breathes life into both of these cliched topics. Her characters are compelling, the plot intriguing, and the novel absolutely captivating. 

5. On Little Wings by Regina Sirois-I have talked about this novel a lot. Regina actually won the Amazon ABNA contest this year. This novel is just beautifully written. Definitely one that I absolutely adored. I can't wait til this is actually published by Penguin.

This book was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. The more I read, the more I loved the story. I loved the characters, the writing, the plot, and basically everything about this novel. It was so beautiful. 

6. The Romanov Conspiracy by Glenn Meade-Oh how I loved this one. I started reading this book and didn't expect it to be very good. It blew me away. 

I absolutely adored the story that Meade created because it was gripping, compelling, and addicting. I didn't just devour this book, the novel consumed me. I couldn't think of anything else. I read for hours and then realized I hadn't eaten all day. However, I couldn't stop reading. 

7. Saving June by Hannah Harrington- I also didn't expect this one to be very good, but it blew me away. What can I say? I love bad boys who really aren't bad.

This book left me feeling nearly every emotion possible; it made me want to laugh, cry, and at times left me absolutely furious. Any book that elicits such an emotional response is easily one I love.

8. The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna- I read this one towards the end. While I loved this one, I didn't like this one quite as much as some on this list. However, it was original and very thought-provoking. Plus, I'm intrigued to see what happens next.

Wow! This book had such an original idea and was unlike anything I have ever read before. That automatically set this up to be a book I loved. Any book that presents a new idea in such a compelling idea automatically makes it on the top of my list.

9. 10 Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway- I wasn't expecting to like this one either. (Are you sensing a theme here?) But I was blown away. This book definitely is one that I put on my keeper shelf and one that I couldn't wait to review. It was beautiful.

Here are two quotes that I adored: 

What girl doesn't swoon at Roman historical references? Probably, most. But I did.

"You google-stalked me! I'm so flattered."
"Stalked is such a strong word," Elliot said.
"Don't be offended. Google-stalking is an art," I said. "In fact, if I could be a superhero, I would be the googler. 'No search is beyond her ability,'" I said in my best radio theater voice. "'She is...the Googler."


10. Saving Hope by Margaret Daley-Oh how I loved this one. It was beautiful. Definitely one I recommend.

Basically, this novel was brilliantly written and one that I absolutely adored reading. It was cute, inspiring, fun, heart-breaking, informative, and entertaining at the same time. It touched upon some serious issues in society (prostitution), but did it in a way that is clean and could be read by anybody who could get past the initial shock that this novel centers around a sensitive issue.


Honorable Mentions: Wanderlove by Kristin Hubbard, Friends and Foes by Sarah Eden, and Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill.


And that's all for me. What was your top ten? What great books have you read this year? Please feel free to leave your link in the comments. I love reading them. :)

Love,
Danica Page

48 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping over at my blog (I replied to your comment)! I haven't read any of these books but they look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also commented back on your blog. You can get Shattered through Netgalley. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Nice picks none of these made my top ten but I only read Starters and eek gad I have pushing the limit and cannot wait to read it. Awesome list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to choose just ten. I don't even know if I actually settled on my top ten. Pushing the Limits is good. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I really want to read Under the Never Sky, Starters, and Pushing the Limits. Thanks for sharing and stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were all good. Hope you get them soon and that when you do that you enjoy them.

      Delete
  4. Twitterpated sounds like such a fun book! :) Here’s my TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/top-books/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked that one. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Great list! You gave me some good choices to add to my TBR list. Thanks for stopping by my blog and Im now following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could add some more books to your list and thanks for the follow.

      Delete
  6. Love the list! Twitterpated does sound really cute... I've been wanting to read a funny chicklit book! I also really need to read Saving June, it's on my Nook I just haven't gotten to it yet :(
    Thanks for stopping by My TTT ...and Im following you now too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitterpated definitely fits the bill then. Saving June is good. Thanks for the follow.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I personally enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Yesssss, I loved Under the Never Sky! Great list :)

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I enjoyed UTNS and your list as well. Great picks.

      Delete
  9. I keep seeing the lost girl and pushing the limit, I need to move them my my TBR list asap

    my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most people I know liked those ones. I'd definitely consider moving them up. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Definitely agree with Pushing the Limits and Under the Never Sky - great picks! Also, glad to see you enjoyed Saving June seeing as that's one of the ones on my TBR list! Happy Tuesday!

    Tara @Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with me. Let me know what you think of Saving June. Have a great day.

      Delete
  11. Hey! Thanks for stopping by my TTT! Awesome list you have! I'm going to add most of these to my rapidly-growing TBR list. Followed you via GFC and twitter (i'm fiction_dream). Hope you'll follow me back:)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could give you new books to add to your list. Thanks for the follow. That just made my day.

      Also, I hope your wallet doesn't hate this feature too much. I know that is always an awful side-effect of knowing so many people who have great taste. :)

      Delete
  12. You have a few I have never even heard of, love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That always makes my day. I love discovering new books. I hope I helped you find a new book to read.

      Delete
  13. I really liked Saving June too, it was a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I really did enjoy it.

      Delete
  14. Awesome list! Pushing the Limits made my list too, and I can't wait to read Under the Never Sky. Now following you via GFC, btw. :D MY TTT. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm glad you liked it. Under the Never Sky is great. And thanks for the follow.

      Delete
  15. incredibly honored to make it on your top ten list. That means so much coming from such an avid and intelligent reader! Thank you for the privilege and the list of books I still need to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. You deserved it. Enjoy writing and reading.

      Delete
  16. I will read 'Pushing The Limits' very soon, hopefully before the New Year, and look forward to it!
    Thanks for stopping by my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I hope you enjoy Pushing the Limits.

      Delete
  17. Oh shoot. My TBR list is getting way to long and you've just added more to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. I hope your wallet doesn't hate me. I have that same problem. All of my friends like so many good books and then I have to buy them. Hope you have more willpower than I do.

      Delete
  18. Awesome list. I really need to and can't wait to read Under the Never Sky and Starters. Thanks for sharing and visiting my TTT. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those are incredible. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  19. I have heard amazing things about Pushing the Limits. One of the blogs that I visit regularly raves about it's awesomeness. I have got to pick up a copy. Amazing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why I read it. All of my friends kept raving about it so I picked it up. I didn't regret it.

      Delete
  20. I loved Under the Never Sky! I haven't read Pushing the Limits yet, but I have heard so many awesome things about it.

    My Top Ten
    http://areaderintime.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-ten-books-i-read-in-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving your link. I'm glad you liked UTNS. I loved it.

      Delete
  21. I've had Twiterpad on my list for awhile but never read it, but now I want to!!! thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. It's cute. Thanks for stopping by as well.

      Delete
  22. I have several of these on my list to read, good to know that you loved them! :)
    My 2012 favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think of them once you get to reading them.

      Delete
  23. I really enjoyed Under the Never Sky. Peregrine!!! *giggles* I have Pushing the Limits on my Nook but I haven't started on it yet. I need to do that soon. Also I should get myself a copy of Starters, everyone I know who have read it loves it, including you.

    Thanks for stopping by my top ten.
    Happy reading!

    Janus @ The Blair Book Project

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really need to read Pushing the Limits! It sounds SO good! Thanks for stopping by today!

    Top 10 @Libby Blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. so many good ones i haven't read yet. under the never sky and starters is on my bookshelf! i have to get on that for sure! great picks, and thanks for checking out my TTT = Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list! I haven't read any of these but the Romanov Conspiracy one looks very interesting, will have to check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)