Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan
(Hundred Oaks, #1)
by Miranda Kenneally
Realistic Contemporary Young Adult
Released: December 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.93
Pages: 281

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:


ONE OF THE BOYS


What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I really don't know how to summarize this book while doing it justice. So let me start out by saying that I had heard amazing things going into this book. But I still wasn't sold. I thought it would be a solid three stars. An enjoyable book, but not one that really stood out to me. 

I was wrong. This book exceeded my expectations. It had a depth to it that I wasn't expecting and the writing style was much better than I thought it would be too. 

I'm not a huge fan of football so I wasn't sure if I'd like it. But Kenneally infused her character with so much passion for the game that I couldn't help but love the way she portrayed it. 

Also, this book is more about Jordan and her relationship with her dad and her coming of age than football which I actually really liked.

I already said I didn't think I could summarize this book and do it justice, but here we go. Jordan is the quarterback of her high school football team and is determined to win the State championship and play high school ball. Her dad plays football for the NFL and so she grew up loving football. But the last thing her dad wants her to do is play her football. He's so worried that she'll get hurt and so he has never gone to one of her games. 

Jordan has been one of the guys. She's never really been friends with the girls and she's never had a boyfriend. But she hasn't ever really minded. Until Ty moves in. Ty is unbelievably hot and she doesn't know if she's okay just being one of the guys anymore. But Ty is on the football team too and Jordan doesn't know how she feels about dating a team member. All Jordan knows is that change is coming.

Okay one of my favorite things about this book was the writing style. It was just so beautiful and lent itself to a depth that is often missing in YA. Another one of my favorite things about this novel was Jordan's friend named Henry. Even though he drove me nuts at times, I really liked his friendship with Jordan. Their friendship was one of the best YA friendships I've read in awhile. It was just so cute. 

They even met in such a cute way. She was at cheer camp. He was at football camp. He threw a ball at her on accident and she threw it back at him better than he did. After that they were best friends and she was on the football team from then on.

Ty was all an interesting character. He was so needy and so that kind of bugged me, but I thought he was a pretty good guy and boyfriend. He was arrogant at times and annoying, but that's probably just my thoughts. 

Anyway, this book was beautifully written, the characters were so intriguing and easy to relate to, and the book had a depth that I really liked. 

If you like YA contemporary realistic romances, then definitely read this one.  

In Summary: A beautifully written story that had an unexpected depth to it. Kenneally's writing was intriguing. This was a story that I read quickly and couldn't get enough of. I can't wait to read the sequel. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Minor swearing, very tame sexual references. Honestly, they are very tame. 

The Wrap-up: Seriously I was really impressed by this book. It just was a really good book. I definitely recommend this one. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Reclaiming Nick by Susan May Warren


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)