Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review: A Love Surrendered by Julie Lessman

A Love Surrendered
(Winds of Change, #3)
by Julie Lessman
Received for Review
Adult Historical Romantic Christian Fiction
Release Date: October 1, 2012
Publisher:Fleming H. Revell Company 
Average Goodreads Rating:4.49
Pages: 394

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Orphaned in Iowa, Annie Kennedy moves to Boston to stay with her spinster aunt. She longs for romance to fill the void left by her parents' death. But when she falls hard for Steven O'Connor, the man who broke an engagement to her sister, Annie is worried. Will he break her heart too when he discovers who she really is? 

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a temporary e-galley of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks!

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I didn't know what to expect from this novel when I saw it on Netgalley. I love Christian fiction and so I decided to give it a shot. I hadn't read the previous two in the series so I really was going into this series blind.

I absolutely adored this book. In fact, I was stunned by how much I loved it. I knew it would be good because I knew Lessman was an incredible author, but I didn't think it would be this good.

I loved every single one of the characters in this book. I could spend a whole post talking about every single one of them; however, since the main characters were Annie and Steve, I'll focus on them for awhile. 

I loved Annie. She wanted so badly to fit in and she wanted to find herself after her parents' death. She falls in with a questionable crowd and is warned to find better friends. I loved watching Annie grow as her faith increased and as she started making better choices. Annie was definitely not a flat character and I loved that.

And then there was Steven. Steven was not perfect. I loved that, so often the male characters are perfect and it makes the story seem flat. I loved watching Steven as he struggled to make the right choices and to be a better person.

And of course, I loved the interactions between Annie and Steven. That was definitely an interesting portion of the novel. I also loved how you gained insight into other character's minds throughout the novel.

Usually I can guess the plot line of novels, and while I guessed the general plot, I was thrown for a few loops. Lessman tucked in a few twists that I absolutely didn't see coming. 

Lessman's writing was inspiring, entertaining, and uplifting. Lessman is a master at crafting words. I flew through this novel and loved every single minute of it. 

Fans of Christian fiction will love this novel. Readers who have not read the previous two books can read this novel without feeling lost, but there are a lot of characters that might be a little hard to keep track of at first.

I definitely recommend reading this series in order and I know I will be going back and reading the first two. I am definitely going to be tracking them down ASAP.

In Summary: Lessman has created a beautiful writing style and creates realistic characters that readers will love. One of my favorite Christian fiction novels of the year.

Warnings/Side-notes: This is a very clean novel. It does talk about sex but in a very vague and appropriate manner.

The Wrap-up: I absolutely adored this novel and definitely recommend it. Lessman is a brilliant writer. I definitely recommend checking out her novels.

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Dear Danica ... WOW. No, make that DOUBLE WOW!!! This is simply one of the nicest and most uplifting reviews I have ever gotten and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for not only reading my book, but taking the time to write such a beautiful review. What a wonderful way to kick off 2013 for me, my friend!!

    I am excited for you because it sounds like you will be reading book 1 in the Winds of Change series, A Hope Undaunted, which is my FAVE of all the books I've written, so I hope you like it too. I don't know if you have read the prior series, The Daughters of Boston, but if you have not, I recommend starting there with book 1, A Passion Most Pure, which is Faith and Collin's story.

    Thank you again for your kind words, and I wish you a new year overflowing with His abundant blessings.

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks. And Happy New Years to you.

      I actually just bought all the books in The Daughters of Boston series and the Winds of Change series on Amazon for a steal. :) So there will be many more review coming soon.

      Thanks for commenting and blessings to you too.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)