Monday, January 21, 2013

Book Review: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

The Madman's Daughter
(The Madman's Daughter, #1)
by Megan Shepherd
Received for Review
Young Adult Historical Si-Fi
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.13
Release Date: January 29, 2013
Published by: Blazer + Bray
Pages: 432

Before I get my review of this novel, here's the synopsis of the novel from Goodreads:

In the darkest places, even love is deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.


Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an arc for review as part of the DAC tours. Thanks Amy, Katelyn, Lisa, and Tara for setting up these tours. I received this arc in exchange for posting my opinion about this book.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Juliet Moreau fell from grace and fell hard when her father was accused of scandal. He disappeared and nothing was ever proven. But it was enough to destroy her family's social status. Then her mother died and Juliet was left with nothing. 

Now, at sixteen years old she works as maid for her father's old colleagues. She knows she's not going to get help from anybody.  It's up to her to fend off unwanted advances. But when one takes it too far and she hears rumors that her father is alive, she sets out to find him.

When she runs into Montgomery, her father's old partner, and learns that her father is alive and practicing on an isolated island, she joins him and returns to her father.

What she finds there is enough to proof that the rumors about her father are true. Her father has went against science and is trying to replicate the creation of human life form. What Juliet finds is enough to repulse her, but it also is enough enough to fascinate her.

But when you have a father like Juliet's does that make her monster too? 

Megan Shepherd's debut definitely caught my interest from the very beginning.      I had no idea what to expect. I traditionally don't read this type of book, but this one just looked so gripping that I had to read it.

It didn't disappoint. Shepherd created a world that captivated me from page one and still has me captivated. I won't say anything about the ending other than to say it left me stunned and left me wanting more. 

I've heard this book be described as both beautiful and heartbreaking and I couldn't agree more. 

This book was such an intriguing tale of this story that has fascinated our culture for years. Shepherd's re-imagining will not disappoint. It had me turning the pages faster and faster. I caught most of the twists in the novel, but several left me stunned. This is one book that will leave you guessing from the first page to the last page.

So Why 4 Stars? So why 4 stars and not 5 or 3. I gave this book 4 stars because it was a memorable book. I'll remember reading this one long after I  finished it. It was more memorable than several books I've read. However, it wasn't quite as memorable as some of the books I've read. 

The writing was beautiful and made for an enjoyable book. I really liked it, but it lagged a little in the middle. Not enough to make me lose interest in a book, but enough to make it 4 stars and not 5. 

In Summary: Megan Shepherd created an intriguing reimagining of this tale that will captivate and entertain. A beautiful yet heartbreaking book that will leave readers wanting more. 

The Wrap-up: I actually enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I thought I'd like it going into it, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I recommend this book to both fans of sci-fi/thrillers and to those who normally shy away from this genre.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik

1 comment:

  1. This book looks great, I've seen it around so much and now I really want to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)