Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Book Review: Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

Hello Readers,

I read Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier back to back and so I'm going to combine my reviews of them into one post.

Ruby Red
(Ruby Red Trilogy, #1)
by Kerstin Gier
Young Adult Paranormal Fiction
Release Date: May 22,2012
Publisher: Square Fish
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.14
Pages: 352

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads:
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I bought this on a whim because I loved the cover and then I remembered that my friend had been telling me to read this series.
It was incredible. I absolutely adored it. Gwyneth was an incredible character who I loved reading about. Gier infused her with so much life and so much attitude that she took on a life of her own.
And then there was Gideon. That arrogant kid that I wanted to yell at but couldn't help but love. Their relationship was interesting to unfold.
Although, I love the entire book. I really enjoyed reading the prologues and the epilogues about Lucy and Paul. I can't wait to watch that relationship develop.
This book blends romance, mystery, and time travel into one awesome young adult novel that I adored. Reading about Gwyneth and Gideon's time travels back into time were fascinating and Gier's descriptions were beautifully written. Her attention to detail was a beautiful addition to this story and yet the book's pace seemed to progress quickly. I absolutely recommend this book to everybody. 
In Summary: An incredible start to a promising new series that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Gier's writing style is addicting. Make sure you have Sapphire Blue on hand before reading this one because you will want to read the sequel right a way. 
Sapphire Blue
(Ruby Red Trilogy, #2)
by Kerstin Gier
Young Adult Paranormal Fiction
Release Date: October 30,2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.38
Pages: 368

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis that's available on Goodreads:

Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.
At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Wow! This book was also incredible. This novel literally starts off where the first novel ended and I was blown away with how fast the novel progressed.
Gideon seriously made me want to scream in this novel on several occasions and then on several other occasions I was swooning over him. I'll definitely be curious to see how his character develops in the second book.
I loved Gwen in this novel as well. Watching her, Lesley, and Gideon's brother interact was definitely most intriguing.  I can't wait to see what happens next.
Most sequels feel like a bridge novel. This one didn't fit that bill. It was incredible and made me so anxious to read the third one. Too bad it doesn't come out in English for awhile. 
All of Gier's characters are so fascinating and I loved reading all about them and watching them all grow. 
Oh how the ending of this book killed me. I can't wait to see what happens next. Gier's series is addicting and incredibly written.
I feel like the synopsis provides an adequate summary of this novel so I won't fill in any more details. However, I love how this novel deals with time travel and with romance.
I think I've figured out the basic plot of this book, but honestly I have no idea how this noel is going to turn out. So often I can peg the plot of a novel within the first chapters. That's not the case with this series. I honestly have no idea what's going to happen, but I can't wait to find out. 
In Summary: You must read this book. It is incredible. Gier's writing is brilliantly conveyed. The way she has built this story is masterful and the characters and the plot will draw you in.  
Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue
The Wrap-Up: I absolutely adored both of these books. It is has been a long time since I've enjoyed a YA series quite this much. I have read a lot of promising books, but I haven't read a paranormal series that I have liked as much as this one.
Gier's writing is addicting. Definitely check out this series. 
Love,
Danica Page


4 comments:

  1. Wow, this seems like a great series and one I will definitely add to my wishlist. It's great that the second book was just as mind-blowing as the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great series. Definitely recommend reading it.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this series yet but the books sound awesome! I'm so happy to learn that you love the sequel just as much if not more. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely recommend reading these ones. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)