Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

Something like Normal
by Trish Doller
New Adult Realistic Contemporary
Release Date: June 19,2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's USA
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.92
Pages: 214

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Let's just say I loved this one. Seriously that's all I need to say.

Okay, since I'm supposed to be writing a review of this novel, I'll say a little bit more than that.

Travis has just returned from Afghanistan and everything is a mess. He watched his best friend die in front of him; his brother stole his girlfriend and his car; he has to deal with his father again; and his parents seem to be splitting up. Yep, life is not looking good for Travis.

And then he meets Harper. Travis unintentionally ruined Harper's life when she was only thirteen. So he's the last person she wants to see. She even punches him when she first sees him. And then something starts developing between Travis and Harper, but will it be enough to overcome both of their pasts?

I loved this novel for multiple reasons. Reason one, it was told from a male's perspective. So rarely do we get a story from just a male's perspective. Oftentimes, we get it from split personalities or from the girl's, but I loved diving into Travis's mind.

Travis was far from perfect. In fact, in some ways he was a really messed up guy. He has slept around with several girls, has bad language, and doesn't respect his parents. But he was just such a good guy. He cared about his mom and wanted what was right for her and he cared about Harper. He tried to do the right thing. He really was honorable. 

I loved Travis's character and watching him deal with all of the issues that came from fighting in the war. Travis is easily one of my favorite literary characters.

Then there was Harper. I absolutely loved Harper. She was just so incredible. She was a strong woman and I loved the way she looked at life. 

I loved the writing style in this novel too. Doller didn't shy away from dealing with tough issues. I really loved that. Her debut novel was fabulous and I can't wait to see what she does with her sophomore novel.

In Summary: Doller is a master at writing profound young adult/new adult fiction. Her characters are realistic, flawed, and beautiful. Doller has made a fan out of me and I'll definitely be adding her to my must-read list. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book is New Adult/Mature Young Adult. It talks about a 19-year-old dealing with PTSD. It has several instances of foul language and several sexual references. They are not graphic, but are definitely meant for a more mature audience. 

The Wrap-up: This book is just beautiful. I absolutely loved it. I'm so glad I read it. If you're like me, you've heard a million people tell you read this one. You might have even been skeptical. I was, but I've been converted. This book is a must-read. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: I'm Not Her by Janet Gutler 


2 comments:

  1. Officially declaring that I am new follower. Here and goodreads :)

    Great review! I knew I wanted to read this when I saw it popping up around goodreads. But now, I really do! It is exciting to know it is all wrote from male POV. And I am excited to meet the main girl-- if she can throw a punch at a service guy then I know she is feisty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow on here and on Goodreads. In about an hour when I'm off work I'm going to officially add you as a friend on Goodreads because I'd love to see what you're reading too.

      I'm glad you liked my review. I'm glad that you liked knowing it was from a male POV. That's something I also like to know and yep Harper definitely is feisty.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)