Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Review: Underworld by Meg Cabot

featured

Underworld
(Abandon, #2)
by Meg Cabot
Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Release Date:
Publisher:
Average Goodreads Rating:
Pages:

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.



Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn’t dead.

Not this time.

But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.

Her captor, John Hayden, claims it’s for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they’ve come back as Furies, intent on vengeance…on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.

But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there…and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.

And unless Pierce is careful, this time there’ll be no escape.


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I have an unhealthy fascination for books that deal with death deities which probably makes me like some books better than I should. However, I feel like I would have liked this one this much even it if hadn't been about a death deity. 

Pierce is stuck in the Underworld with John. She wakes up after having nightmares to find John comforting her. And yet, Pierce isn't as scared as she was before. But when Pierce sees images of her family in pain and in danger, she has to help them. John agrees if she promises not to leave the Underworld again. 

Pierce agrees but back on earth the Furies are waiting for her and John. Pierce might just be walking straight into a trap.

I don't quite know what to think of Pierce and John's relationship. I think it's slightly disturbing. I love John, but I think Pierce gives in to him too easily. He barely says sorry and she forgives him because she loves him. I love John, but I think Pierce needs to be a little more adamant and demand answers from John. It's great to be understanding, but I'd like to see her grown some more backbone.

Pierce also came across so whiny and helpless. Seriously, you have Furies after you and a necklace that turns black when they are near. I think I'd be checking that necklace a little bit more. 

Also, I'd really like to learn more about John. I felt like that did happen in this one, but I'd like even more characterization of him. 

However, as always, Meg Cabot's writing is brilliant and captivating. Fans of the first novel in this series will definitely love this one. I think that people who didn't like the first one in the series will like the sequel better, but it's hard to tell if they will really like it or not. The characters were pretty much the same as in the first novel and the general plot was the same as well.

In Summary: An interesting retelling to the Hades/Persephone story. I'm curious to see what happens in the third one. I'm hoping Pierce grows on me because she does bug me. 4 stars for plot and an imaginative tale. 2 stars for characters. So I'll give it 3 stars.

The Wrap-up: Fans of Abandon will love Meg Cabot's sequel. The sequel was interesting but did at times fill like a bridge novel between the first and the third one. However, I'm curious to see what happens in the third novel and so I'll be checking it out. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen 

1 comment:

  1. I really, really wanted to get into this story, but I didn't like it as much as the first novel. I feel too that their relationship is a bit odd, and somewhat off to me. I like them, but I almost feel like Pierce is too young, or too naive, or too something to really fit with John, and then of course there is the bit about him not giving her answers.

    I don't know if I'll read the third one. I love the writing, and the darkness of the story, but I had a really hard time with this book.

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)