Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E. Smith
Realistic Contemporary Young Adult
Published by: Poppy Little Brown
Released: January 2, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.79
Pages: 236

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

In Summary: Hadley is ticked. Her mom is making her going to her father's wedding and that's the last thing Hadley wants to do. Her father walked out on them and she doesn't understand why she should go see him marry some other woman. It's just ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is the fact that she misses her plane by four minutes. It's not like anybody will believe she didn't do it on purpose. She is stuck in an airport with people she doesn't know and she has her father's book sitting on her lap. She hasn't read it and she's decided she's going to give it back to him. That is bound to make a statement.

Then she meets Oliver on the airport. Oliver is heading back to London too and as they start talking she is stunned by the connection she has with him. Can one day with somebody change your whole outlook on life. Hadley is about to find out. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I had heard a lot of hype about this book, but I was skeptical about it. I was completely blown away by the awesomeness of this novel. I love books that take place in one day and this one simply solidified that belief.

Smith was a master at infusing her writing with Hadley's voice. I felt so connected to her character and felt like I knew her so well. Smith was a master at writing and character development.

I also liked Oliver. He had great dialogue. Seriously every time he opened his mouth, I ended up laughing hysterically. I definitely could see myself crushing on Oliver....oh I kind of did for the whole book. 

Her writing was beautiful too. I was surprised by how profound her writing was. She worked in such meaningful quotes and how she developed this novel so completely. She worked in literary quotes so seamlessly. It didn't feel pretentiously. 

Fans of realistic contemporary novels will adore this one. The plot was well-developed and the writing was beautiful. I was sucked in from the very first page until the very last page. I recommend this to anybody and everybody.

So why 5 stars? Because I absolutely loved this one. This is a memorable book and one that I actually wrote down several quotes from. It had me laughing one moment and then thinking deeply the next. Any book that can do that is one of my favorites. 

In Summary: A beautifully written book that I absolutely adored. Jennifer E. Smith has made a fan out of me. I can't wait to read more from her.

The Wrap-up: This book is one that I would definitely consider buying. You should definitely read this one. I really did adore this novel. Smith's writing was beautiful, touching, entertaining, hilarious, and moving. Any book that can be described by all of those words is one of my favorites. 

Love,

Danica Page

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I read it, but sadly I've forgotten a lot of it. I might have to reread it sometime soon, so I can revisit the awesome-ness of it! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. It can definitely be hard to reread books sometimes. Good luck finding time to reread it.

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, I loved this book so much! It was such a good journey through love and family, and it had some great quotes. Thanks for the review. Glad you liked it, too!

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you loved this one. It really did have such great quotes. I loved it too. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)