Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Book Review: Charade (Heven and Hell, #2) by Cambria Hebert

(Heven and Hell, #2)
by Cambria Hebert
Asked to Review
Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Released On:
Published By:
Average Goodreads Rating:
Pages:

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Dying at the hands of a psycho was a shock. Having my life returned to me by an angel was incredible. Being named a Supernatural Treasure and being given Sam as my guard was pretty darn awesome. Acquiring a debt for it all - well, I should have seen it coming.

 Now here we are, fighting demons from hell, caring for a boy that I just don't trust and traveling to faraway places to return a treasure to its rightful place. Nothing is as it seems. Everyone wears a mask, everyone puts on a charade. It's up to us to separate the truth from the lies and reality from fiction. A hard task when my new reality involves fallen angels, witches and dragons...and did I mention hell? Anchoring me down through it all is Sam. 

Sam who must face tragedies of his own and is put to the test again and again. If we fail in our task, life as we know it - life as you know it - will end. Forever.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. 

An Overview of the Novel: Sam and Heven are in more danger than ever. Heven and Sam have been entrusted with a sacred scroll that includes everybody who will make good contributions in the world (ie: who will find the cure for cancer). Heven and Sam want to keep it safe; the demons want it so they can get kill off these people before they can successfully accomplish what they are destined to do.

Word is out that Heven has the document and the demons will do anything to have it back. Heven will do anything to protect it and Sam will do anything to protect Heven. 

But when everybody is after you, who can you really trust? Heven knows she can trust Sam, but the list stops there. Heven and Sam love each other and would do anything for each other. But what do you do when everything seems to be set on tearing you apart.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I love Cambria Hebert's writing. I have read three short stories by her and now two novels. Each time I am sucked in more absolutely. She is a master at characterization and at developing intriguing plots that will leave you sucked in from the very first page to the very last page. 

I loved Heven and Sam after reading Masquerade, the first novel in the series. So I was anxious to discover what happened to them next. Often novels experience what is known as the sophomore slump. Charade expertly avoided that trap and that makes me even more excited to read the third one in the series.

I love that Heven and Sam both seem so real and that we get to see inside both of their heads through the switching POVs. However, Cambria also does a great job at creating strong secondary characters. Some of them I absolutely hate, others I love, and others just frustrate me. She does an excellent job at portraying the whole spectrum.

And then comes her ability to create a gripping plot. This is a genre that I normally wouldn't love, but Cambria is just such a great writer that I have loved both books in this series anyway. 

If you like a writer who creates brilliant characters and an incredible plot, then look no further than Cambria Hebert.  

So Why starts 4.5 out of 5 stars? I loved this novel. Cambria was an expert at characterization and at developing the plot. I loved both of those elements. It just lacked that extra something to make this a 5-star rating; that something that makes you so wrapped up in a book that you can't think about anything else. However, I still really loved the novel. 

In Summary: Cambria Hebert's Heven and Hell series will sweep writers away and plant them into a world full of intrigue, suspense, and love that they won't want to leave.

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel is actually quite clean in all aspects. That's something I really like. I don't think books need to be edgy to be good, and I love that this novel shows that. 

The Wrap-up: Basically, I adored this novel in case you couldn't tell. I'll be anxiously awaiting until I can read the next book in the series. Sam and Heven are definitely two characters I need to read more about. Check out Masquerade, you won't regret doing it. Even if this isn't your normal genre of choice, I still think you'll like this one. Just give it a shot. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. thank you for the wonderful review, Danica. I always appreciate your honest reviews. I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I appreciate your comment. I'm glad you liked my review.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)