Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare



City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2)
by Cassandra Clare
Paranormal Romance
Released On: March 25, 2008
Published By: Random House Books for Young Readers
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.29
Pages: 453

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:


Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

An Overview of the Novel: Clary was determined not to get involved with the Shadowhunters, but that plan doesn't really plan out. When people discover Jace is Valentine's son, they stop approving of him and declare him a traitor.

It's up to Clary to make sure Jace doesn't do anything rash. But that proves to be a little more than difficult. After all Jace is her brother, she can't love him. And yet she can't not love him.

Clary is determined to help her mother too. Her mother is still in a coma and shows no sign of waking up. Plus, Valentine is out there wrecking havoc. But where do Jace's loyalties really lie? To the Shadowhunters or to their father?

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I kept hearing that I needed to read this series from so many people that I finally decided to read the series. I read the first one in the series awhile ago and just barely got to this one.

I will admit to being pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed this one. It did feel like a little bit of a bridge novel; however, it successfully avoided the sophomore slump.

I still really like Jace, but the idea of Clary and him still liking each other kind of creeped me out. That's partly why I didn't read this book, but I decided to read it anyway. 

I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the novel and am pleasantly surprised by the Jace and Clary angle.

I liked Simon a lot, but I just don't see him with Clary. I hope he does get a girl though. 

Basically, I did enjoy this one and am curious to read the next in the series. I have all sorts of guesses as to what happens next. 

So why 3.5 out of 5 stars? It was enjoyable, but it just lacked that extra something to really stand out in my mind. I did like it, however, and am excited to read the next one. 

In Summary: An original, compelling tale that has me intrigued to find out what will happen next. Definitely recommend to fans of paranormal fantasy (but then again, you have probably all already read this). 

The Wrap-up: Like I said, I can't wait to read the next one. I'm curious to see where this series goes. I really hope my suspicions are right and that I don't end up hating the series. :) 

Love,

Danica Page


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)