Monday, February 4, 2013

Book Review: Derailed (Clayton Falls, #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Derailed by Alyssa Rose Ivy
(Clayton Falls, #1)
by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Released on: September 23, 2012
Published by: Createspace Independent Publishing Platform
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.80
Pages: 260


Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:


When you're lost, sometimes the only place you can go is home.

Broken over the death of her fiancé, Molly leaves law school to return to her childhood home in North Carolina. Expecting to lay low until she can figure out what else to do with her life, she finds herself in the arms of her high school sweetheart, the boy who represents everything from the past she tried to leave behind.

Looking for an escape, she instead finds a way back to the girl she almost forgot existed and a future she never dreamed possible.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I got this novel for free on Smashwords the week it was free. It's now back up to $2.99. 

Overview of the novel: Molly has hit rock bottom. In her mind, her world is spiraling out of control. She's almost done with her first year of law school, but then she decides she doesn't want to be a lawyer. 

She doesn't wait to finish the year; she doesn't want to say in the city. All she can do is go home. She doesn't want to think about her dead 
fiancé
. She just wants to forget everything.

But when she goes home, she runs into her ex-boyfriend Ben. Ben has been waiting in the wings and is determined to win her back. Molly is determined to avoid anything serious at all costs. But she hadn't counted on Ben or his persistent pursuit of her. Ben's made it clear he wants her back. The only question is whether Molly is going to let him do that. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I wanted to like this novel going into it. I love Alyssa Rose Ivy. She has a way with words, creates compelling characters, and develops plots that leave me mesmerized.

I fell in love with the novel form the get-go and loved the characters. Molly had suffered a real loss and had a depth to her character that I loved. So often I read books that just don't have any depth; I enjoy them but I also wish I could have got more out of the novel. 

So going into this novel I had really high hopes and then after reading the first few chapters I had really high hopes. Molly came back and immediately hooked up with her old boyfriend Ben, but that was all it was going to be. A casual thing where they could both leave satisfied but with absolutely no commitments necessary.

I wanted to like Ben. I wanted to wish that Ben and Molly would get back together, but honestly I just felt disconnected from Ben the whole time. I actually liked Gavin better. In my opinion, he was the better choice.

Relax all you people who hate love triangles, this one didn't have a love triangle. It was Ben from the get-go and it was always going to be Ben (that is if she could deal with her issues and get over her past), but I really liked Gavin who was hanging on the peripheries.

Having said that, let me say I still really liked the characters, even though I disapproved of their choices. Alyssa is a great writer who writes so well that even though the characters frustrated me, I was still swept into the story.

Fans of new adult will definitley want to check out Alyssa's Derailed. It's only $2.99, if you like romantic novels that have characters with real depth then definitely read this one. 

So Why 3.5 stars? I have now read a lot of books in this genre and this was not my favorite in the genre. It had depth, but not quite as much as some other ones I've read. However, I still really liked this one. It was enjoyable and I flew through it. I'd still recommend it; it just doesn't make my top ten. 

In Summary: Alyssa Rose Ivy masterfully creates characters who are compelling and have a depth to them that is so often missing in the New Adult genre. Her ability to weave a story is remarkable. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This is a new adult novel and as such contain some material that is inappropriate for a younger audience. I'd say 17 and up. 

The Wrap-up: I really enjoyed this one. This book is cheap and definitely worth buying if you like this genre. It's not my favorite New Adult novel that I've read, but I'm glad I got it and I really enjoyed it. I might not have got it if it wasn't free, but after reading this one, I raced to buy the sequel. I can't wait to see what happens to Gavin and Becca. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston

6 comments:

  1. Great review Danica, as we read more of this genre I think we will all be a little harder on them. I feel bad that you couldn't connect with Ben..that kind of takes the sizzle out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree if you're apathetic about the love interest it took take the sizzle out. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Read through a lot of your book reviews, wow, you really put a lot of time and thought into them. Any reader or author would be happy to have you review a book. :) Danica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danica. I'm glad you like my reviews and I do try to put thought into them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! I definitely think her other books may be a bit more my genre, but Alyssa is a sweetie. :)

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, Alyssa is a sweetie. I'm about to review her novel Flight so stay tuned. I think that one will be more your genre.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)