Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Everneath (Everneath, #1)
by Brodi Ashton
Dystopian Romance
Released On: February 26, 2013
Published By: Random House Books for Young Readers
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.46
Pages: 304

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.



My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I have mixed feelings about this one. I love retellings of Persephone and I had heard of really good things about this one. So naturally I went it with high expectations.

To be honest this novel was definitely nothing like I thought it would be. I didn't expect to be so drawn to Jack and I also expected to be drawn more to Cole. To be honest, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. 

Nikki was a character that I had a hard time connecting with. I mean I understand life is hard, but to agree to go down to the Everneath over a boy was something I really had issues over. 

However, once I got past that initial premise I found the novel to be really intriguing. I felt like I really got to know Nikki's character. And the writing was solid. Also that ending was just wow. It made me really want to read the sequel. 

So in short, I hated the actual premise of the novel (aka why Nikki went to the Everneath), but thought the retelling was intriguing. The plot, however, was extremely compelling and that ending was really addicting.    

So why 3.5 out of 5 stars? The initial premise knocked it down to a 2, the ending knocked it up to a 4, and the last 10% of the novel was a 5. On the whole I'd say the novel was somewhere between a 3 and a 3.5. I'm super excited to read the sequel, so I'll bump it up to a 3.5

In Summary: A compelling novel that offered an intriguing take on a myth that I love reading about. I had some issues with the initial premise, but overall the novel was quite good. 

The Wrap-up: I'd recommend it. It truly was quite good. Just get past the reason why Nikki went to the Everneath and then it's a really intriguing read. I'm really hoping the next book is like the last 10% of this novel. It's bound to be interesting to see the least. I'm curious to see who wins out too--Cole or Jack. 

Love,

Danica Page

6 comments:

  1. I bought this one recently because it was on sale, but I hadn't read any reviews for it yet. I really like the idea of the everneath and the summary, but for some reason I'm really wary to start this one. Thanks for you review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting. Most people seem to really like this one. I hope you fall in that camp.

      Delete
  2. I think I might snag this one for my Kindle! It's on sale right now and it sounds really good! I liked your review a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I'm glad you liked my review and yes for the most part I've heard really good things about this one.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this book when I read it! Love the mythology re-telling and the parallels between more than just the Hades/Persephone recreation. I am a total fan of Cole. Especially after reading Neverfall. Everbound is really, really good if you plan on checking out the 2nd book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. I'm definitely excited to read Everbound. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)