Friday, February 22, 2013

Book Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera


Hooked (Hooked, #1)
by Liz Fichera
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary Romance
Received e-arc for Review
Released On: January 29, 2013
Published By: Harlequin Teen
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.61

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done. 

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a temporary e-arc of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. I was not obligated to write a good review nor am I receiving any compensation for writing this review. 


An Overview of the Novel: Fred is unsure how her parents will react when the coach invites her to join the boys golf team. She isn't sure how she'll be received, but she can't say no. Golf is her life. It's a chance to get out and to leave the reservation. But with her mom constantly getting drunk and telling her she's not going anywhere, it's hard to believe she can leave. Then there's the fact that in order to be on the team she had to kick off a boy on the team. That's not exactly winning her any points with the team.

Ryan is furious when Fred joins the golf team. She kicked his best friend off the team, but he quickly starts becoming really impressed with Fred. First off, she's an icnredible golfer and he is just drawn to her. But she's the girl who ruined his friend's golf career and the girl from the reservation. Do they even have a chance?


My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I read the first sixty pages or so and to be honest I didn't think I was going to like this one. I was preparing myself for a lack-luster read. 

I was wrong; I ended up really enjoying the novel. I really liked the charaters Fred and Ryan. They both live very different lives than I do; however, they were easy to relate to. Both of them had such distorted ideas of what life for the other person was really like. This lent itself to much confusion and honestly these two characters acted like complete idiots toward each other for most of the read.


That was really frustrating, but in the good kind of way. I just wanted to shake them both and say get your act together


The writing was also really interesting. I thought the novel did drag a little at times and that the pacing could have been better; however, on the whole, I really enjoyed the novel. 


It was very thought-provoking. And unless you count Twilight, which I really don't, I haven't read any other books about contemporary Native Americans. It was interesting to read a book about people on a reservation, how they were able to handle living on the reservation, and how they handled going to a school with mostly people who didn't live on the reservation.


I thought this novel was an intriguing look into a different type of life and showed how they were different but how they really weren't all that different. I do wish the novel had possessed more depth to it. It had such potential to be one of my favorite reads at all time. It didn't reach that level.


But it was still an incredibly well-written book that I definitely recommend to fans of realistic contemporary. 

So why 3.5 out of 5 stars? It was intriguing and I liked the characters, but it dragged at times. I also wished that there would have been more depth to it. However, on the whole I really liked it. I thought it was an interesting look into a different lifestyle. 

In Summary:  Fichera's Hooked is a beautiful read that opened my eyes to different lifestyle. She showed that differences don't have to divide us and I loved that. A great start to a new series that I'll definitely be keeping tabs on. 

The Wrap-up: I am definitely excited to read the sequel. Fichera's writing style was intriguing. Her cast of characters was also beautifully crafted. I have no doubt I'll love the sequel featuring new characters just as much as I loved this one. In fact I already love both Sam and RIley so I'm excited to see what she does with it. This one definitely comes recommended.

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, despite the slowish pace, I've read such mixed reviews but I really need to get to this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)