Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless
by Colleen Hoover
Received for Review
New Adult Realistic Contemporary Romance
Released on: December 19,2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.62
Pages: 391

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…


That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. 

An Overview of the Novel: (I really worry I won't be able to adequately summarize the awesomeness of this novel. It was so complex and so deep, but oh well here I go.)

Sky has been home-schooled for her entire life and has lived a very sheltered life. No TV, no computers, no electronics. She hasn't minded, but she's going to go to college soon and she wants to go to school her senior year and finally her mom agrees.

But Sky has a little bit of a reputation going into school. She's been the make-out queen and has gone through more guys than she can name. She's never done more than make-out, but if you believe the rumors, then she's the school slut.

Sky has never felt anything with any of the guys she's made out. It helps her be numb and to stop thinking, because whether they are dreams or her past, the moment Sky closes her eyes she sees awful images. Thinking is sometimes overrated.

Then she meets Dean Holder and he makes her feel. The only problem is he is nothing but trouble and he infuriates her more than anybody she meets. She doesn't understand him. All she knows is he has serious issues. Sky's just not sure if she can handle him and when he comes clean, it might just be the thing that will tear them apart for forever.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I can't begin to name how many people told me I'd love this one. I'll admit to being skeptical. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but so many people kept raving over it that I gave it a shot because it was cheap book.

I was hesitant to read this book because there were certain aspects to the novel that I thought I'd find offensive. However, I gave it a shot and I wasn't offended; I was blown away by the book. 

I read five pages and I was feeling pretty hooked and then by two chapters in I knew I was going to have a long night ahead of me because there was no way I was going to stop reading until I turned the very last page. 

I loved Hoover's writing style. It's been a LONG LONG time since I've enjoyed a writing style this much. And then there were characters, dang her characters felt so real to me. I loved getting into Sky's head and watching her deal with unknown horrors that she had dealt with in her past.

And then there was Dean Holder. Okay, I think I just found my fictional bad boy love. Dean Holder was everything I like in a bad boy—a boy who had a rough exterior and a bad reputation, but was really a sweet, sensitive, and oh so hot guy. Seriously, where can I find a Dean? He is easily one of my favorite characters of all time.

Watching Sky and Dean interact was also mesmerizing. I was rooting for them from the get-go, but Dean and Sky both had a lot going on underneath the surface and the whole time I was worried they wouldn't get together.

The chemistry between these two characters. This isn't giving anything away so don't panic. But one of my favorite scenes was when Sky confesses to Dean that she's never felt anything while being kissed. He then says she hasn't been kissed right because when he kisses her, she's going to feel it.

I'm not a huge romantic and romantic scenes are never my favorite, but let me tell you that scene where he doesn't kiss her because he wants her to really feel it when he does kiss her....if you only read the novel for that scene, then that's a good enough reason. 

Trust me though this novel had depth to it. It's not a shallow romance like I so often read. Sky was an extremely developed character and she had a lot to overcome. The romance really wasn't the center of the story. And I loved that. 

That would have been enough to make me love this novel, but then came that ending. Don't worry I'm not going to give anything away. After finishing the novel, I had entered into absolute fangirl stage. It didn't end anything like I expected it would. I mean I did guess a few of the twists, but I was unprepared for the beauty of this novel and for its ending. 

I'm recommending this to anybody and everybody. Go buy this now. You'll want to read it again eventually and it's really cheap. 

So Why 5 out of 5 stars? In case you couldn't tell because I frickin' love this book. The writing was beautiful, the plot was gripping, the characters were incredibly developed, and the whole novel was mind-blowing. 

In Summary: Easily one of my favorites of the year. Hoover has created a tale that will capture the hearts and minds of every one who gets lost in its pages. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Sexual references and interactions. For 16 and up. 

The Wrap-up: Readers will be sucked into this world of beauty, pain, tragedy, love, redemption, and forgiveness and won't want to leave the book. However, when they turn the last page, they'll be satisfied and that's a mark of a great book. As much as I'd like to read more about Dean and Sky, I'm perfectly satisfied and don't need a sequel. There aren't many books I can say that about. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

2 comments:

  1. I was pretty skeptical before reading this book too, but I got sucked it right away. It's a beautiful story and everything was just done so well. In less crafted hands I think this story could have been butchered, but instead I fell in love with Dean and Sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment. I definitely agree with you. It was beautiful and yes Colleen Hoover was a masterful writer.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)