Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: Offside by M. G. Higgins


Offside
by M.G. Higgins
MG Sports novella
Received for Review
Released On: January 28, 2013
Published By: Darby Creek
Average Goodreads Rating: 2.85
Pages: 112

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:

Between finishing late school projects and looking after her brothers and sister, Faith Patel barely has time to play soccer. And when she's at practice, surrounded by girls who can afford to play in club leagues, she doesn't even feel like part of the team. So when Coach Berg starts to give Faith extra attention, she feels . . . really special. It might be crazy, but suddenly Faith has a crush on her coach. Can she keep her head in the game? 

The situation gets worse after Faith's frenemy Caitlyn decides that Faith's getting special treatment. Will Caitlyn tell the rest of the teamand make Faith into a total outcast?

My Rating: 2.5 out of 3 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received a temporary e-arc of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I'm not receiving any compensation for reviewing this novel and the opinions expressed in this review are my own. 

An Overview of the Novel: Faith barely has time to follow her own dream of playing soccer. Her mom is busy working and that leaves Faith spending a lot of time baby-sitting. But she has soccer in her life and she's determined to do her best, even if she can't play club or feel like a part of the team.

Even worse is when Caitlyn starts feeling threatened by Faith. All Faith knows is she might have a chance to not feel like an outcast for the first time and she's going to take it. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Let me start out by saying that I don't think I was the target audience for this novel at all. I thought this was going to be a YA novel; it was a middle grade novel. That right there was probably a little bit of a let-down.

Secondly, I played soccer and so I had really high hopes for this novel. I love novels that are about girl soccer players. Once again that probably wasn't fair either.

Having said that, let me get into what I think of this novel. I thought that the novel had an intriguing premise, Faith seemed like an intriguing character, and I thought the novel had great potential.

I wanted to like this one so badly. Honestly, I did, but it just fell flat for me. It just felt like it ended right when the story was really getting started and I never felt really connected to any of the characters. Things just felt so rushed. 

However, in all fairness that could be because this was an MG book. I'm not as familiar with this genre. I do feel that I still would have been slightly disappointed with this novel just because I loved soccer so much.

Another downfall for the novel was that it resembled the movie Bend it Like Beckham, but was a weaker version of it. This novel just lacked the depth and character development that I like.

However, it was an interesting read and I don't regret reading it. However, I couldn't in good faith recommend it which is why I had to give it 2.5 stars. But who knows if I had been a middle-grade reader I might have enjoyed it more.

I also had problems with Faith crushing on her coach. It just seemed weird to me. She was just so young and I really didn't like that dynamic. 

So why 2.5 out of 5 stars? I didn't hate it, but I can't in good faith recommend it to others. This was Higgins' debut novel and I hope she writes a more compelling sophomore novel. 

The Wrap-up: For me this novel just struck out. However, if you like middle grade novels, you might like this one more than I did. I can't recommend this one to others, but I do hope that others who read this novel enjoy it more than I did. It had great potential, but just fell short. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)