Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book review: The Start-Up series by Sadie Hayes


Hello Readers,

Today I'm posting my review of Sadie Haye's The Start-Up and The Anti-Social Network, book 1 and 2 in her The Start-Up series. So without further ado here we go.


The Start-Up

(The Start-Up, #1) 
by Sadie Hayes
Received for Review
Young Adult/New Adult Realistic Contemporary
Released on: October 17,2011
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.81
Pages: 103

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:


When a college freshman's breakthrough software program catapults her into the limelight, she and her twin brother must navigate a treacherous world of money, power, and envy: Silicon Valley.

In a world of tweets, apps, and mobile games, The Start-Up is a fast-paced and exciting serial story with a new episode released each month.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this novel from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. 

An Overview of the Novel: Amelia and Adam Dory are two twins studying at Stanford. They would do anything for each other after all they are all they have.

Adam is unsure what he wants to do an is kind of just floating through school. While Amelia knows exactly what she wants to do, she loves code and spends all her time in the Gates lab. 

Amelia's talents are recognized by Tom Fenway and he wants her to start a business, but Amelia refuses. That brings on their first fight.

But when she hacks into a company's site named Gibly and finds unethical behavior, they try to pay her off. Amelia refuses and quickly learns that she might have just ticked off the wrong person. 

Amelia is going to do everything in her power to be ethical but she will also do anything to save Adam. The only question is whether she can do both. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I have been intrigued with this novel for a very long time and have been meaning to read it. I loved the premise of the novel and so I was excited going into this one.

I will admit I was stunned by how short the novel was, but I absolutely loved it. Amelia and Adam were two characters that I instantly connected with. Adam really bugged me at times but I still felt really connected with him and I loved Amelia's character.

The writing was brilliant. I really enjoyed watching Sadie weave this story together. 

She created a world that was full of so much intrigue, suspense, and betrayal that I was hooked from the get-go. Silicon Valley is a dog-eat-dog world and watching to see if two teenage twins survive this ruthless world was an intriguing backdrop.

I loved how Sadie developed this story and couldn't wait to read what happened next in the series. 

So Why 4 out of 5 stars? Although I really liked this story, it missed making it into my all-time favs. I thought the beginning was a little disjointed and it lacked that extra something to make it into my favorites list. However, I did really enjoy this novel and am glad I read it. 

In Summary: Sadie Hayes' world offers readers a fascinating look into a world full of betrayal, lies, intrigue, and ethical dilemmas. I definitely recommend this book to anybody and everybody. 

The Wrap-up: This book left me really intrigued to see what would happen in the sequel and I closed the last page really satisfied. Sadie Hayes' decision to write in a episodic manner was intriguing and I definitely can't wait to see if she can pull it off. 

And now for my review of the sequel.

Warning: This review does give some of what happened in the first novel away, but doesn't give anything major away. caution.



The Start-Up
(The Start-Up, #1)
by Sadie Hayes
Received for Review
Young Adult/New Adult Realistic Contemporary
Released on: October 22,2011
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.90
Pages: 94

There is no summary available on Goodreads, so I'll just dive right into my review. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this novel from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. 

An Overview of the Novel: Amelia and Adam's dreams are beginning to come true. Tom Fenway is giving Amelia the means to actually make a business out of her product and even though she was anti-business to start.

But when people from the past start threatening the twins, Amelia and Adam realize they might just have got themselves in over their heads. As Amelia continues to work on the coding, forces continue to conspire against them.

They are in a tangled web so deep that it threatens to burst at any second. The only question is who will be left standing at the end of the day. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I really enjoyed the first novel in the series so I went in with high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. I continued to love Amelia's character. I'm anything but a computer programmer, but I found it easy to connect with her character.

Adam continued to frustrate me, but I still really like him. And there are all the secondary character's whose lives have me completely floored. I'm just not sure what to think about them. 

Several of them are weaving such tangled webs and I'm honestly just waiting until they explode. And then there are the characters who are sitting on the fence of being bad or good and I really just can't decide what to think of them. 

Basically, Sadie is a master at crafting characters and a plot that transfixes me. Her writing is beautiful, her characters compelling, and her plot is so intriguing that readers won't want to put it down. 

So Why 4 out of 5 stars? Although I really liked this story, it missed making it into my all-time favs. However, I did really enjoy this novel and am glad I read it. 

In Summary: Sadie Hayes' second novel offers readers a glimpse into a world where betrayal, deceit, and innovation run rampant. Readers will fall in love with this world and will be waiting to see the thrilling conclusion. 

The Wrap-up: I for one can't wait to see what happens next. Adam and Amelia's stories are gripping and I will definitely be keeping close tabs on this author. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with Sadie Hayes' story right now. However, I'll be curiously waiting to find out.

I definitely recommend this series and when I found out what's going on I'll post that here. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Submerged by Dani Pettrey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)