Monday, February 4, 2013

Book Review: Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston

Turning Pages
by Tristi Pinkston
Received for Review
Adult/New Adult Realistic Contemporary Romance
Released in: 2012
Published by: Inkberry Press
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.96
Pages: 240

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:


With his pride and her prejudice, what could possibly go wrong?

When the arrogant Blake Hansen steals Addie Preston's promotion at the library, he pretty much rubs her nose in it. But Addie, who dreams of being a full-fledged librarian, decides to stick it out. She loves surrounding herself with books and keeping her father's memory alive in the building where they spent so much time together.

Soon, Addie learns that her beloved library will be torn down to make room for a larger facility, and she has to make a choice. Fight, or let go?

To complicate things, she finds herself attracted to Blake, who is engaged to someone else. Will Blake and Addie ever resolve their differences?

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received this as part of the original book tour, but somehow it got lost in the mail, so I did receive a copy from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. 

An Overview of the Novel: Addie has wanted to work at the library for years and thinks that she's finally going to be named Assistant Librarian only to be passed up for the arrogant Blake, who hasn't even worked at a library before. Addie is furious and automatically dislikes Blake.

But then she finds out the library is going to be knocked down and then rebuilt. Addie now knows why she was passed up for Blake, but that doesn't make her any less furious.

She's determined to save the library and walk away with her heart intact because there's no way she could actually be attracted to Blake is there.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I hadn't actually really read the summary before going into this book. So I went in without realizing it was a retelling of Pride and Prejudice. :) However, the fact that it was a retelling was quickly apparent. There were some notable differences in Tristi's re-imagining though, and it stood up on its own merits, which many P&P retellings do not.  

What if Elizabeth's dad had actually been out of the picture and Elizabeth had actually liked her mom? What if Elizabeth hadn't been related to Lydia. Add a million more what ifs and you have the intriguing Turning Pages.

To say I'm always skeptical of retellings of Pride and Prejudice is an understatement, but I've also read several that I have loved. 

I will admit for the first third of the novel I was thinking I might not love the novel. It was good, but it hadn't completely gripped me yet. But as I kept reading, I became more and more intrigued and I loved the ending.

I really liked Blake from the get-go so that was different than P&P because in that novel I was furious with Darcy in the beginning. Blake was actually just a charming young man who I liked from the beginning. On one hand it was nice, on the other hand I did like to hate Darcy. :) 

As for Addie, I actually liked her character. There were several parts where I could find myself connecting with her. If you love reading and libraries, I definitely think she is a character you will enjoy reading about.

Tristi's writing is always fantastic. I've read books by her before (books on finance before for goodness sake and been riveted). Tristi is just a fabulous writer.

So why 3.5 out of 5 stars? I loved the book. I liked the characters and the way Tristi re-imagined the classic tale of P&P and I thought the setting she chose was fascinating. How many books take place at libraries? In my opinion, not enough. So why a 3.5 out of 5 stars? I just can't look past the first part of the novel that didn't quite grip me. 

This novel was closer to a 4 though and there were so many parts that I absolutely love. I'd still recommend it to people who like retellings of P&P or those who are looking for a cute fun read that will elicit a few laughs. 

In Summary: Tristi presents a cute retelling of the classic we all love. Her characters are gripping, her plot compelling, and her writing is masterful. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Nothing this novel is perfectly clean. 

The Wrap-up: I love Tristi's voice. Her writing is beautiful and I definitely enjoyed this one. If you like cute novels with deeper underlying themes check out this one. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Danica! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome and best of luck with your writing endeavors.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)