Wednesday, February 6, 2013

January in Review: Time Travel, Madmen, and More


Hello Readers,

As you know I'm trying to read 80 books by May 1 when I leave for Italy for 18 months on a service mission. I'm also participating in several challenges, so how am I doing? What are my favorite books I've read so far? Well you're about to find out.

Books Read:
As of January 31, I had read 32 books, which puts me a little shy of halfway to reaching 80. Maybe I'll be able to read 100 books before I go after all. That would be really nice. 

To read my reviews of these books and books I've reviewed in years past, you can check out my reviews archive page.


Favorite Books I've Read So Far:

Christian Fiction:

And yes as you can tell Julie Lessman swept this category.

A Passion Most Pure (Daughters of Boston, #1) by Julie Lessman (GoodreadsMy review-This is the first novel in her Daughters of Boston series. Normally, I like romantic suspense best, but I just loved the complexity of this book. 

A Heart Revealed (Winds of Change, #2) by Julie Lessman (GoodreadsMy Review-This is the series that follows up on her Daughters of Boston series. I just loved the characters in this one. People always try to ask me which series I liked better and the answer is I really liked both of them. Read all six of these books you won't regret doing so. They are all fabulous. All of them got 4 or 5 star ratings.

Paranormal YA

This month aliens beat out angels, vampires, and werewolves. Yes you can guess right. I finally caved and read Obsidian.

Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (GoodreadsMy review-Oh, how I loved this one. Thanks everybody for insisting I read this one. 

Realistic/Contemporary YA/New Adult

I read so many good books in this category, but these ones were my favorite:


In the YA category:

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (GoodreadsMy Review-Okay I thought this one was going to be dumb going into it, but so many people loved it that I had to give it a shot. I loved it. I'm so glad I read it. 

In the New Adult category:

How could I not include these two? Seriously, I've read a lot of books in this genre now, but these two still stand out in my mind. 

 Hopeless by Colleen Hoover (GoodreadsMy review-This one is frickin' amazing. Go read this today. You won't regret it. This one seriously blew my mind and easily makes my top five of the year in any genre. 

Something like Normal by Trish Doller (GoodreadsMy review-I had heard really good things going into this one so I was super excited, but I didn't expect to be blown away. I couldn't have been more wrong. I loved this one. Plus, it's from a male's POV the entire time. Love that. 

Books read for TBR Challenge:

My goal for the TBR Challenge was orginally to read 11-20 books, but since by January 31 I had already read 28 books off of my TBR pile, I upped that goal to 50. To see a list of all the books I've read as a part of the challenge, 

Books read for New Adult Challenge:

My goal was to read 5 New Adult books, but then I became addicted to this genre and so I bumped it up to 30 books the Fully Independent stage. As of January 31, I've read 8 books  for this challenge. To see a list of all the books I've read as part of this challenge, please click here.

My favorite New Adult book I've read so far is Hopeless by Colleen Hoover (GoodreadsMy review. I already explained why earlier. 

Books read for Debut Author Challenge:

For this challenge my goal was to read 10 books. I have a lot coming up on my docket, but so far I've only read 1 book for this challenge. To see what books are coming up on my review docket please click here. If you know of any debut books that come out before April 15 that you think I absolutely must read then let me know. 

I've only read one book for this challenge so far, so of course my favorite is that one: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd. (Goodreads) My Review This novel was actually nothing like I thought it would be, but I did enjoy it.

Books read for Sophomore Challenge:

My goal is to read 5 books for this challenge. So far I've read 0 books for this challenge. Yikes! I've been slacking off in this category. Do you guys know of any good sophomore books that are being relesaed before April 15? If so let me know. I do have about 5 books I'm about to read though. So I should be able to pull this one off. Click here to see what books I'm about to read soon. 

Books read for Country Challenge:

The point of this challenge is to see how many countries you can visit through books. So far I've got 4 countries. To see what countries I have visited, please click here.  

My favorite country I've visited so far is: England in Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red series. (My review) (Goodreads) I love the detail she puts into everything she describes. It was beautifully done and one of my favorite books of the year. 

And that's January in a nutshell. What was your January like? Are you ahead of your goals, right on schedule, or lagging behind? 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. DANICA!!! Eighteen months on a service mission??? Holy Cow, girl, talk about IMPRESSIVE!! But I do hope you'll get the chance to read ... :)

    Thank you, THANK YOU, you sweet thing, for allowing me to "sweep" the Christian category. Now just don't tell me you only read my books and two others!! ;)

    Honestly, each and every one of your reviews blessed the socks off of me, and I cannot thank you enough for not only reading my books, but taking the time to post reviews -- you are a TOTAL blessing!!

    I pray God's blessings on your mission trip, my friend, and may it be abundantly, exceedingly more than you think, hope or pray.

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)