Friday, March 1, 2013

Book Review: A Cowboy at Heart by Lori Copeland

A Cowboy at Heart
(The Amish at Apple Grove, #3)
by Lori Copeland and Virginia Smith
Received for Review
Adult Amish fiction
Release Date: April 1,2013
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.50
Pages: 304

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis:

A Cowboy at Heart, an engaging Amish-meets-Wild West adventure from bestselling authors Lori Copeland and Virginia Smith, weaves a clever and romantic tale of new starts and second chances.

1886--Jesse Montgomery is beginning to feel restless. Though he's grateful to his friends Colin and Emma for helping him get on his feet again after a few bad choices and some hard living, surely the Lord doesn't want him to stay in Apple Grove forever. Doesn't the Almighty have plans for this reformed rowdy cowboy to build a life of his own?

When an unscrupulous cattle baron tries to steal Amish land, Jesse intervenes and is wounded. Lovely Katie Miller, the young healer in the district, attends to him while trying to guard her heart. This sweet Amish widow cannot risk falling in love with an Englisch cowboy, charming though he may be. And yet--she believes God has a life for her too that is more than what she can presently see. Could there be a future with Jesse only He could bring about?

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a temporary e-galley from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks!

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I enjoy reading Amish fiction and so when I saw this on Netgalley. I jumped at the chance to read it. I love Amish fiction because it portrays a world so different than my own. And yet these people's devotion and faith is astounding. 

I can't imagine living in this type of community and yet I love reading about the faith that these people have. 

I had not read any of the other previous books in this series but I never felt lost. It was an enjoyable read. However, I'd still probably recommend reading the books in order. 

The basis of the story is that a less than reputable man is trying to steal the Amish people's lands. Jesse the cowboy isn't about to let him get away with that and sets out to protect his friends and their land. However, the Amish seem more inclined to let the man take the property away than to stand up and protect their lands. Jesse just doesn't understand. When he ends up wounded, the pretty Amish widow Katie Miller steps into help heal him.

But Katie Miller's father-in-law who is also the Bishop wants Katie and Jesse as far a part as possible. Katie is devout and will obey her Bishop, but even she can't deny her feelings for Jesse. 

This book was nothing like I thought it would be. In other words, I thought the ending would be completely different. Yet, I still really enjoyed this book.

I loved the character Katie. She was strong and so willing to help other people. I loved reading her story. I've already said how much I love a cowboy and so naturally I was drawn to Jesse. He was a good guy but he wasn't perfect and he had definitely made a few mistakes.

When an Englisch person and an Amish person are drawn to each other. It is always complicated. For an Englisch person, the Amish style of life is just so different. And for the Amish, it's the same thing. 

I wondered what would happen between the cowboy Jesse and the strong Amish woman Katie. I loved their story immensely.

I have read a ton of Amish fiction and while this one might not be my favorite one I've read by them, it definitely was a very enjoyable read that I'm glad I read.

In Summary: Copeland and Smith did a wonderful job at depicting the Amish lifestyle and filling their story with characters that were captivating. The story was enjoyable, entertaining, and uplifting. Definitely a great read.

The Wrap-up: I loved this story. It was a very enjoyable read and the plot was good. It wasn't my favorite Amish fiction novel, but it was very well-written. All in all I'd recommend this to anybody who loves Amish fiction. 

Love,

Danica Page




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)