Friday, March 15, 2013

Book Review: Desert Flower by Angela Scott

Hello Readers,

Today I'm pleased to be part of the blog tour for Desert Flower by Angela Scott. This tour was set up by Reading Addiction Blog Tours. Today I'll be including my review of the novel, but first here's a synopsis of the book and some information about the author. 

And now here's the synopsis of the novel:

Bodies have a canny way of finding Samantha Jean Haggert. The first, the dead body of her mama. The second, a naked man in the middle of the Arizona desert. For Sam, dealing with one dead body in her lifetime is more than unfair. Two, is downright cruel.

Seven years after running from West Virginia, Sam's now a young woman of nineteen, trying to put the pieces of her life together with the help of her family—Jacob, Boone, and Laura. But the naked man in the desert spirals her world out of control, resurfacing past hurts, revealing old secrets, and pitting her between two men who via for her heart. Carson, her friend, her first kiss, and the one man who knows everything about her past and loves her despite it. And Turner, the stranger who knows nothing, but who excites and frustrates her all at once. 

When bad choices made as a child leads to more bad choices as a young adult, Sam finds herself at a crossroads and is forced to face her demons head on if she plans to have any future at all—with Carson, with Turner, or with anyone. But fixing the wrongs of the past takes time, and learning to forgive herself is damn near impossible.


Angela Scott:

I hear voices. Tiny fictional people sit on my shoulders and whisper their stories in my ear. Instead of medicating myself, I decided to pick up a pen, write down everything those voices tell me, and turn it into a book. I’m not crazy. I’m an author. For the most part, I write contemporary Young Adult novels. However, through a writing exercise that spiraled out of control, I found myself writing about zombies terrorizing the Wild Wild West—and loving it. My zombies don’t sparkle, and they definitely don’t cuddle. At least, I wouldn’t suggest it.

I live on the benches of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains with two lovely children, one teenager, and a very patient husband. I graduated from Utah State University with a B.A. degree in English, not because of my love for the written word, but because it was the only major that didn’t require math. I can’t spell, and grammar is my arch nemesis. But they gave me the degree, and there are no take backs.

As a child, I never sucked on a pacifier; I chewed on a pencil. I’ve been writing that long. It has only been the past few years that I’ve pursued it professionally, forged relationships with other like-minded individuals, and determined to make a career out of it.

You can subscribe and follow me on my website, where I blog obsessively about my writing process and post updates on my current works. I’m also on Twitter and Facebook, but be forewarned, I tweet and post more than a normal person.

You can also buy her books by following these links. Desert Rice Amazon, Desert Flower Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and iTunes

And now for my review:

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not obligated to write a good review and I didn't receive any compensation for writing this review. 

An Overview of the Novel: Samantha Jean Haggart was not expecting to find a naked dead man in the desert. Even worse, she wasn't expecting the dead man to actually be alive. When Samantha was 12, she ran away with her brother Jacob and they met every disastrous situation possible. Now seven years later, she's attending veterinarian school and is feeling deeply conflicting feelings for Connor, her best friend.

But she also is attracted to Turner and she doesn't really know what to think or what to do. She seems to mess up everything she touches lately. Her past is converging with her present, and if she doesn't change things, then she's going to ruin her future too. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I'm not entirely sure what to think about this novel. It was intriguing and gripping and yet frustrating and yet oddly satisfying. And basically, I don't even know what to think about this novel. I'm not even sure how to put my thoughts into words. But here we go.

Samantha was an intriguing character who I found myself sympathizing with. Half the time I wanted to yell at her, but I knew why she was doing what she was doing and so it didn't frustrate me too badly. I really liked Connor and Turner too. I'm not sure which one I liked better. I think I liked Turner better, but I don't know if he was the better guy for her. Plus, we don't really know that much about Turner.

Anyway, the writing was impeccably done. I loved the plot line and the overall story. The novel touched upon a lot of deep issues. I wished it would have expanded more on those issues, but it was really well-written.

I would recommend this book to fans of new adult novel. It's the second in a series. The first novel takes place when she was 12 and sets the stage for this novel. This novel can be read as a stand-alone; however, readers should read both of them to get the full experience with the novel. 

In Summary: Angela's novel is incredibly written, touches upon deeper issues that several ya/NA books. Her novel is compelling and will draw readers in from page one.

Warnings/Side-notes: This is an upper new-adult novel and has some content not suitable for children or people under the age of sixteen. 

The Wrap-up: Angela Scott's Desert Rice and Desert Flower were both really gripping, intriguing reads. I definitely recommend them to fans of realistic contemporary novels. 


Love,
Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. I love this cover! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Sounds like a good book. :)

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for being a part of my blog tour. I so appreciate it. I appreciate your honest review and if there is a way for you to leave it on Amazon for me, that would help me out a ton.

    Thanks
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)