Thursday, April 11, 2013

Book Review: Fifteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton

Fifteenth Summer
by Michelle Dalton
Received ARC for Review
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Published by: Simon Pulse
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.33
Pages: 272

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Chelsea isn’t looking forward to her summer at the lake. It’s the first time her family has been there since her grandmother died, and she can’t break out of her funk. But her summer takes a turn for the better when she meets a boy who works in the bookstore. Josh is cute, sweet, funny…and best of all, seems to like her as much as she likes him. As the days pass by in a blur of boat rides, picnics, and stolen kisses, she can’t believe how lucky she is. No one has ever made her feel so special, or so beautiful.


But Chelsea knows her days with Josh are numbered. She’ll be heading home at the end of the summer—and he’ll be staying behind. Will this be Chelsea’s summer of love? Or will it be the summer of her broken heart?


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a electronic ARC from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review. I was not obligated to write a good review nor am I receiving any compensation for writing this review. The opinions expressed within this review are my own. 

An Overview of the Novel: Chelsea is less than thrilled to be going back to the family cottage in Bluepointe. This is the first year her grandmother won't be there; she died and Chelsea is having a really hard time dealing with that.

Her grandmother wasn't supposed to die, at least not until she was old. Now everything has changed. Chelsea takes refuge in the bookstore and meets Josh. Josh is infuriating. She can't tell if he likes her or not and has no clue how to read the signals he's giving her.

Until suddenly she does. Finally, Chelsea seems to have met somebody who likes her as much as she likes him. But they only have the summer? After that, who knows. Her parents could sell the cottage and never return. Is it worth it when one summer is all you might have?

My Thoughts/Impressions: I started this novel without really knowing what to expect. Honestly, I asked to read this book because I loved the cover and because I tend to really enjoy summer reads. However, the fact that they were only 15 was a little bit of a turn-off at first.

I was wrong. This book was beautifully written and had me grinning from page one to the very last page. Dalton's writing was engaging and her talent for story-telling was incredible.

She created characters who caught my attention from the first page. Chelsea faced a lot of insecurity. Her oldest sister was the braniac, her second oldest sister was the athlete, and she was....she didn't know what she was. Her two older sisters were gorgeous and she had what she thought was hideous red hair. Basically, she had no clue how she fit in.

Chelsea wasn't a whiny character or one that was so insecure that you wanted to smack her, but she was dealing with a lot of uncertainty and grew a lot in the book. I loved that. I also really loved Josh. He was such a great guy.

The pacing of the novel, the plot, the characters—they were all brilliantly crafted. This novel was a beautiful, fun, engaging, light-hearted read that I really enjoyed.

So why 4 out of 5 stars? It was beautifully written. It lacked the depth of my favorite novels, and yet it was still really enjoyable and one of the best I've read in awhile.

In Summary: An engaging, cute summer read that is brilliantly written and centered on fabulous characters that readers will adore.

The Wrap-up: I'm glad I took a chance and read this novel. It was way better than I thought it would be and ended up being a really enjoyable read. I'd recommend this to fans of young adult novels or fans of cute, summer reads. 

Love,

Danica Page


3 comments:

  1. First time I read a review of this book! You really had me DYING to read it... I'm almost 15 myself, and I always like to read books about characters my age. The summer is getting closer and closer so I think it's just a great time for a summer read!!
    Great review. I love your blog <3 *old follower*

    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so curious about this book. I am glad you liked it. I think I will be checking it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need your help with this book, It was really good, but I need to find imagery throughout the book along with a literary device, can u help me?!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)