Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review: A Glimpse of Her Soul by Stuart Jaffe

A Glimpse of Her Soul
by Stuart Jaffe
Received for Review
Released On: February 7, 2013
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.33
Pages: 212

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:


When 16-year-old Gillian Boone discovers that a secret message has been etched into her soul, her world of normal teenage life is destroyed. Now, bizarre monstrosities seek to kill her so they can read this message as her soul departs and use its information to escape back to the world they came from.


Though she has the aid of her father and some new friends, there is only one who has the real power to help. A rogue monster named Jackhammer Jack. But he might want her secret, too, even as he helps her evade the clutches of those pursuing her. With threats surrounding her, Gillian will have to lead her allies in a struggle for survival - a struggle all the more treacherous when her allies are just as dangerous as her enemies.

Filled with action, excitement, magic, romance, and mystery, A Glimpse of Her Soul is a pulse-pounding ride you're sure to enjoy. And just the kind of genre bending you've come to expect from a writer whose motto is Fantasy Knows No Bounds!


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book as part of the Reading Addiction Blog Tour for this novel. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I didn't really know what to think going into this novel. I thought the initial premise sounded good. This novel had great potential. The plot sounded really intriguing and original. Basically, I couldn't wait to see what Jaffe did in this novel. 

The book was really interesting and quite original. I thought the plot was well-developed and that the characters were intriguing. The characters did annoy me during several parts of the book and at times I found myself feeling infuriated with them.

I did wish that the pacing would have been slower. The plot seemed really rushed at parts and I felt like I was being jerked from scene to scene at times. However, the book was enjoyable. I'd be interested to see what happens in the sequel.

This wasn't my favorite fantasy book, but it was still really good and I'd recommend it to fantasy fans. 

So why 3 stars? I enjoyed the novel, but at times it felt rushed and it wasn't my favorite in the genre. However, it was very original and intriguing. 

In Summary: Stuart Jaffe's novel was intriguing and original and I enjoyed reading it. However, I felt like the novel could have been better developed. 

Warnings/Side-notes: There were some instances of language, but on the whole this novel was very clean. 

The Wrap-up: I enjoyed the novel and am glad I read it. The plot really was intriguing and original. However, I do wish the novel had been better developed. Like I mentioned earlier, I thought the novel's pacing was a little bit rushed in certain places. I'd be interested in seeing what Jaffe does in the sequel though. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)