Sunday, April 7, 2013

Book Review: The Heiress by Allison Rushby

The Heiress (#1-5)
Serial Series
by Allison Rushby
Received for Review
New Adult/Young Adult Historical Realistic Fiction
Released On: May 7, 2013
Published By: St. Martin's Griffin
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.42
Pages: 352
Amazon Link/Goodreads Link

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Three triplets—sisters estranged since birth—are thrust together in glittering 1926 London to fight for their inheritance, only to learn they can’t trust anyone—least of all each other.

When three teenage girls, Thalia, Erato and Clio, are summoned to the excitement of fast-paced London—a frivolous, heady city full of bright young things—by Hestia, an aunt they never knew they had, they are shocked to learn they are triplets and the rightful heiresses to their deceased mother's fortune. All they need to do is find a way to claim the fortune from their greedy half-brother, Charles. But with the odds stacked against them, coming together as sisters may be harder than they think.

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this novel for review from the publisher via Netgalley. I was not obligated to write a good review nor am I receiving any compensation for writing this review. 

An Overview of the Novel: Thalia, Erato, and Clio were triplets who were separated at birth. They were sent off to other family members and raised without knowing each other. Some of them had great lives and others struggled to survive the awful conditions they were placed in. But now Hestia, an aunt they didn't know they had, has brought them back together and is determined to help them get their inheritance.

But when it comes to money, they are about to learn that people have no scruples. They will soon learn that they might not even be able to trust each other. Scandal awaits on every turn and the quest for money can turn anybody into the worst version of themselves. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: When I was invited to review Allison's novel I was excited because I loved her novel Shooting Stars. That one was realistic contemporary and this one was historical fiction, so I knew better than to compare them to each other going into this one.

However, I will admit that it made me even more excited to read this one. I went into the novel not knowing a lot about it. I didn't know it was a serial novel, I didn't know it would be about three triplets fighting for an inheritance. Really, I went into the novel not really knowing what to expect.

Coming out of the novel, I'm still not really sure what I think about the series. I loved the character Clio, but to be honest Thalia and Erato drove me nuts. There was so much backbiting and so much bitterness. Basically, this novel is very similar to what I'm sure Gossip Girl and The Clique series are like. I usually don't read those types of novels because I really hate reading about snotty girls.

However, I'm glad I read this one. All of these girls were ones I could connect with or at least root for on some level. I wanted them to get their inheritance, but the whole time I was praying it didn't ruin them. Basically I enjoyed the writing style and thought Allison did a great job with the plot and the characters.

As I read, I was constantly wondering what twist or problem would arise next. That made for an intriguing read, and while I did enjoy the novel, it just didn't have that extra something that made it stand out in my mind. 

So why 3 stars? It was an enjoyable read and I flew through the book because it was intriguing and so intense. However, I left the novel having enjoyed the book but wishing that there would have been more development of the characters and of the plots. It was a great read, but one that failed to distinguish itself to the 4 star level. 

In Summary: Allison's The Heiress invites readers to join a world where scandal and the quest for inheritances run supreme, a world where you can't trust anybody, not even your sisters. It was an intriguing premise and I enjoyed the serial novels very much. This world will suck in fans of novels like the Gossip Girls or The Clique

The Wrap-up: Allison is a great author who I love reading. I'll definitely be curious to see what she writes next. I love her writing style and think she has great potential. I'll be interested in seeing what she comes up with next. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)