Sunday, April 14, 2013

Book Review: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Taking Chances
(Taking Chances, #2)
by Molly McAdams
Received for Review
New Adult Romantic Contemporary
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.01
Published by: William Morrow Books
Released On: October 16, 2012
Pages: 432

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis:

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University. 


Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy. 

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book for review from the publisher via Edelweiss. I was not obligated to write a positive review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. 

An Overview of the Novel: I'm not going to be able to give a very thorough synopsis of this book without giving things away and so please excuse me if this synopsis sounds vague. I just can't condone spoiling books.

Harper Jackson lived an interesting life on a marine base with her father who she called sir. She was home-schooled and never really had any other friends besides the ones at the base. But when she leaves for college, she enters an entirely different world—one full of boys, parties, and lots and lots of drama.

Harper was disgusted with her roommate's brother Chase and yet she feels an undeniable pull to him. But then there's Brandon, the boy who becomes her boyfriend. She loves him and yet she can't forget about Chase. What makes it even worse is that Brandon and Chase are best friends and roommates. How can Harper condone coming between them and which one will she choose? She knows that both of them adore her and she likes both of them, so how can she choose. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I knew what was going to happen in this book thanks to a spoiled review. :( That's partly why I was so adamant on not giving anything away. This book was just heart-wrenching. Seriously, once again it was an emotional read. I knew what was going to happen and it still seriously broke my heart. I loved Chase and Brandon both, and even though I hated what Harper did to them, I liked her too.  

That's why I can never decide if I like love triangles. When they are done really well, they break my heart. However, Molly did a great job at developing her characters. They seemed so real to me.

Her writing was solid. The pace never dragged. I just kept turning page after page because I was literally dying to know what happened next and exactly how everything was going to happen.

However, on the whole I did really enjoy this novel. It was frustrating, but beautifully frustrating and poignantly written so on the whole I really liked this book, even if I do wish certain things hadn't happened. 

So why 4 stars? Everything that I've previously mentioned makes giving this book a rating so hard. I had a love-hate relationship with it. I hated what happened in this book, as in I was so frustrated I wanted to throw the book at the wall. And yet, it was powerfully written and just so dang good. However, I really did like the book and so 4 stars.

In Summary: Molly McAdams's has perfected writing novels that frustrate me to no end and yet ones that I still love. Her characters are complex and definitely are not cookie-cutter characters. Her writing is beautiful and her plots are intriguing and yet tragic. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This book is heart-wrenching and because of that several people did not like this book. It's beautiful but tragic. If you can deal with reading a really sad, frustrating, but beautiful book than pick this one up. If that's not your cup-of-tea, then you won't like this one. 

As for a content warning, it's definitely for adults. There is some sexual content, references to drinking, and some instances of strong language. 

The Wrap-up: I really did like this book and yet it frustrated me. Molly McAdams had definitely left me with no desire to read about another love triangle for at least three months. :) Great novel. Definitely recommended to those who don't mind frustrating books. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)