Saturday, April 13, 2013

Book Review: Transparent by Natalie Whipple

Transparent
by Natalie Whipple
Received ARC for Review
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.11
Released On: May 21, 2013
Published By: HarperTeen
Pages: 368

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.


An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic arc from the publisher via Edelweiss. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review. This review is my honest opinion. 

An Overview of the Novel: Fiona is invisible—no, really she is. After the Cold War, people started taking the drug radiasure to be safe from radiation. The only problem is that it mutated the cells and suddenly almost everybody in society has mutated and received special gifts.

Hers is invisibility. She was born invisible. Nobody has ever seen her. And since her dad is a syndicate boss, she was born into a life of crime. She hates what she's doing and can't get rid of the guilt she feels for all the terrible things she's done. But that's her father's gift. He's so charming he can make women do anything he wants them too. Fiona is no exception.

But when Fiona and her mom run away again, she's hopeful that maybe this time they can stay out of sight. Maybe this time they will stay safe from her father's and her brother Graham's clutches. But can somebody like her ever really be safe?

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Natalie Whipple lives only blocks away from me. I've heard her talk about what the writing process means to her and so naturally I was really excited to read her writing. So while I don't really know Natalie, I sort of do. Just throwing that out there for means of disclosure.

When I first read the synopsis it grabbed my attention, but didn't leave me completely hooked. I liked the cover though and I really wanted to read the book. So I did. 

The writing was gripping from the very first page until the very last page. It left me riveted for the entire novel. Her writing didn't bring undue attention to itself. It simply flowed and left me wanting to read more and more. 

I hate cookie-cutter characters and Whipple certainly didn't fall into that trap. Her characters were intriguing and beautifully constructed. I loved reading about them and watching them interact with each other.

I also loved how flawless Natalie's world-building was. It was clear that she thought through how she wanted to create her world. I also loved that in this novel everybody knew about each other's superpowers. In most novels I read, the superpowers are unknown or hidden. 

I liked that the ending wasn't a cliff-hanger. It was a conclusion and yet it left room for a sequel. Or in other words, it tied up enough loose ends and left the perfect amount of strings untied. 

So why 4 stars? It was beautifully written, not my favorite, but still beautiful. The characters were intriguing, the world building was well thought out, and the writing was masterfully crafted. 

In Summary: Natalie Whipple created a novel that let me hooked from the beginning and was brilliantly crafted. I can't wait to read Whipple's sophomore novel which comes out next year.

Warnings/Side-notes: None. This book is clean. 

The Wrap-up: Whipple's novel was intriguing and exceeded my expectations. Fans of paranormal or soft sci-fi novels, will love this book. It was an intriguing read and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)