Tuesday, April 2, 2013

PROMO: Stephanie Fowers Twisted Tales series


Hello Readers,

Today I'm thrilled to be part of the guest post and promo post for Stephanie Fowers Twisted Tales series.


With a Kiss (Twisted Tales #1)
Author: Stephanie Fowers
Genre: YA Paranormal (Faeries)
Release Date: April 2013

Buy Link: Amazon 
Description:

There are seven rules of the faery kingdom that Halley Starr must never break:

    1. No trespassing sacred faery territory
    2. Don't ever say thank you
    3. Using a faery’s given name is a no-no
    4. Never break a promise to a faery
    5. Faery music is forbidden
    6. Resist all faery food
    7. And never, never fall in love with a faery

    But Halley is cursed. Yeah. No joke. She can barely survive Omak High with that shard of ice in her heart. How could she possibly be a proper godmother and stop Rumpelstiltskin from taking the heir of the faery kingdom? And let’s be honest, there is no way she’ll go with Goldilocks (some hot faery guy) who won’t bother telling Halley his name or that she looks like she’s talking to herself when he’s around. Not a chance.

    And really, who can blame her?

    If Halley wants her heart back again, she can’t worry about the rules…

At Midnight (Twisted Tales #2)
Author: Stephanie Fowers
Genre: YA Paranormal (Faeries)
Release Date: April 2013

Buy Link: Amazon 

Description:

Stop the clock from striking twelve

    Who is Bridgette anyway?

    1. Loser of Omak High
    2. Girl who rubs her fingers raw working fast food
    3. Victim of the evil stepmother who runs the group home
    4. Not-so-proud owner of a hearth where fire-starting goblins live
    5. Asylum wannabe with occasional schizophrenic episodes

    Not even Bridgette knows. Not that she can do anything about it. Besides, her godmother is supposed to save her, not the other way around! But Halley Starr is a little busy fighting Rumpelstiltskin flunkies and his beanstalk, so her godmother sends some rude faery guy to help Bridgette instead. It’s up to him to make sure she gets that true love’s kiss that will undo the banishment curse, except he seriously knows nothing about love or faery hunters, red riding hood, spindles…or high school!

    Excuse me?

    Even if he did, how is Bridgette supposed to find true love if everyone she loves disappears?



As the Sun Sets (Twisted Tales #3)
Author: Stephanie Fowers
Genre: YA Paranormal (Faeries)
Release Date: April 2013

Buy Link: Amazon 

Description:

Will it be happily ever after or the end?

    Daphne’s sister and stepsister are in big BIG trouble!

    1. It’s the third and final day
    2. Rumpelstiltskin plans to suck their powers dry
    3. The queen wants them dead
    4. The wolves switched sides
    5. The world is about to end
    6. And did they seriously expect to keep this all from Daphne?

    Oh yeah, A LOT of trouble! Daphne Starr pricks her finger on a spindle and it awakens the power that was always within her. That’s a big time no no! Now Rumpelstiltskin and some evil queen are after her. Even more annoying, the biggest player at Omak High is a shapeshifter and he goes beast on her, dragging her into a beanstalk and getting them stuck in a time-warp. He won’t stop asking her to marry him to get to her powers. I mean, give up already! Sure, it’s cool when she scores matching boots with the weirdo cat, and some cute faery guy accidentally tags along for the ride, but…

    Enough is enough already!

    Halley and Bridgette had better get her out of this—especially since she only has until the battery runs out of her cell phone before she loses…to a beast.


Stephanie Fowers loves bringing stories to life, and depending on her latest madcap ideas will do it through written word, song, and/ or film. She absolutely adores Bollywood and bonnet movies; i.e., BBC (which she supposes includes non-bonnet movies Sherlock and Dr. Who). Presently, she lives in Salt Lake where she's living the life of the starving artist. Stephanie plans to share more of her novels, films, and even a musical in the near future. May the adventures begin.

LINKS:
Website:http://stephaniefowers.wordpress.com/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/Stephaniefowers  

The Story-behind-the-Story
(a tale of love, softball, faeries, Cinderella, Cú Chulainn, three narrators, and Omak)

About seven years ago, I was between college and a job when my sister and her husband invited me to stay with them in Omak, Washington. It was one of the best summers ever! I went to their kids’ softball games, helped out with the community play, bonded with their little one-year-old girl, and wrote “With a Kiss.”
Pretty much, you can read that summer ALL over in my book. Back then, my nieces had dragged out my romantic comedies from my shelf and wanted to read them, but they were all about college and stuff that they weren’t interested in, so I promised I’d write a story tailored just for them. They LOVED faerytales and that was the first thing that I threw into the novel. They loved magic, so I put in some faeries (at the time I thought witches were taken by Harry Potter). And also, because I was helping them out with their children’s theater and since all my nieces (and a few of my nephews) were in the play, I added Halley Starr’s own theater adventures in the opening chapter of “With a Kiss.” And then to top it all off, I set the whole thing in Omak (pronounced Oh-mac) where my sister’s family lived. Jessica always introduced me at my nieces’ softball games as her author sister, and so after clearing up any misconceptions that I was actually famous, I promised her friends I’d do them proud anyway and make Omak the star of my novel, complete with the suicide stampede horse race, the Colville Tribe, their fascination with the arts, and everything else in between!
After that, things got a little wacky. I had every intention of keeping the book fun and light, and I was very, VERY determined not to write in any twists. I planned to keep the plot simple and not veer into confusing territory (as I had been accused of doing many times previously). I promised myself so faithfully . . . but the moment that I discovered faerytales were real in this book, all bets were off! It was too fun not to twist my own faerytale take into this story.
Since this book was based on faeries, I researched the little creatures—Hobgoblins and mermaids, Leprechauns and Dones d’aigua. And I found all sorts of fascinating Celtic legends surrounding them. I started world building with already existing legends—Niamh, Ratis, Cailleach, Bridgette and put them into the faerytales where they fit—the Frog Princess. Rapunzel. Snow White, Cinderella.
If you look at the Arthurian legend of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell, this knight of the round table morphed from a legendary guy known anciently as Cú Chulainn (also known as the hound of Ulster because he killed his step-parent’s dog and had to take its place). Then when I researched into Dame Ragnelle, I saw she came from the legend of the Loathly Lady (also known as the goddess Ériu). So, here I had a story about a handsome guy who was tricked into marrying an ugly hag, and when he proved his love to her, she turned into a beautiful faery princess. Well, of course, that was Beauty and the Beast—reversed.
It all started to fit a pattern. I mean, every culture has their own Cinderella. These stories had passed through many generations in many different versions. Lancelot and Guinevere were once Tristan and Iseult. Titania and Oberon were Onagh and Finvarra. So in my Twisted Tales series, I decided to further transform these Celtic heroes into their own faerytales and give them a modern twist as characters in my book. And not only that, I made faerytales like a book of prophecies. None of the faerytales had happened yet. And since the books were magic, they were in the act of being written with ink seeping into the pages out of nowhere.
Now with all these ideas tucked in my mind, I sat down and wrote “With a Kiss” (then titled “FaeryTale Prophecies”) and I sent it off to my favorite publishing companies. I couldn’t get an agent to read it, and when they did, they thought it was too light . . . or too dark. The heroine was too mean or too bubblegum (depending on what they were looking for). But I didn’t want to make her darker; I didn’t want to make her nicer either—she didn’t have a heart. I mean, she was literally cursed. And besides that, I wanted a realistic girl who had room to grow. The agents (as a rule) didn’t care—they wanted a story that fit their criteria and I (as a rule) wanted a story that fit mine. Man, I’m hard to work with . . . just like my mean, bubblegum characters that they disliked.
Let’s fast-forward things to five years later. I had shelved the book, but when one of my nieces asked about it (my brother’s daughter this time), I let her read it and she loved it. Her friends loved it too; they read it at lunch to each other. My niece begged me for the next book, but no one was buying the first book and so I explained that there was no way I was about to write a second one for no one to buy—I really had to concentrate my efforts elsewhere. That’s when she, along with all of her friends, got mad at me. That was surprising. I didn’t know they were actually interested in reading the rest for real! So when I discovered this great thing called Amazon, I tried out one of my chick flick novels on it and was super happy with the results. Then when the girls all gave me puppy-dog eyes, I said, sure, why not? I’ll make it into a trilogy and dedicate it to you.
I had the best time writing these books during the past two years. I had plans to take my character Halley Starr into the next book as the narrator when I realized, no, no, this next book isn’t about Halley, it’s about Bridgette. And the third book? Well, it’s REALLY about Daphne, so I changed the narrator again for the third. I’m not sure if anyone does that with a trilogy (I haven’t checked), but it just worked for these novels. Each girl gets her own adventure with a “Hobs” thrown in—though I do want to make it clear that the books are meant to be read in order because they follow a storyline that builds on each book until the end.
Halley, Bridgette, and Daphne are very different from each other, which is how my nieces are in real life so it seemed appropriate. I also think that the second narrator, Bridgette, would have fit the more serious criteria that those agents from yesteryear wanted. And of course, Daphne from the third book would have pleased the opposing side who wanted a lighter heroine. That’s just the way it goes, I guess. I’m pretty sure that everyone will have their favorite books and narrators in this series because none of the books are a cookie-cut version of the other. In fact, I’ve made it a point to ask each reviewer which narrator they prefer and I think the results are great. Usually, they like the narrator who is the closest to them in personality (or at least have a friend similar to the narrator they love).
But honestly, one of the things that was most fun about the Twisted Tales series? Everything came full circle. Because it took me so long to get these books out, I was able to grab those same nieces who inspired me to write these stories so long ago and put three of them on my covers because now they’re old enough to look like my main characters. It’s crazy how life works. That’s why it’s so wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danica, I appreciate you hosting me on your site! I really had a fun time writing this book, and I definitely want to let the people in Omak know how inspired I felt to write this book while living there! And to my nieces, I just want to thank them for encouraging me every step of the way. I suppose it takes a village to make a book (or trilogy in this case) ;-)
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)