Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Walking Disaster
(Beautiful, #2)
by Jamie McGuire
Received for Review
New Adult/Young Adult Realistic Contemporary Fiction
Released On: April 2, 2013
Published By: Atria Books
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.38
Pages: 433

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis available on Goodreads:

Can you love someone too much?
Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this novel for review from the publisher via Netgalley. I was not obligated to write a good review nor am I receiving any compensation for writing this review. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: After reading Beautiful Disaster, I finished the book with mixed feelings. It seems like people either hate or love that book. There was no in-between. I left uncertain about how I thought about  Travis and Abby as characters. I thought the writing was beautiful, however.

So when I saw the chance to review Walking Disaster, I decided I would. Let me start out by saying this: Travis is not a great guy. He fights, he throws things, he's jealous, controlling, and at times a complete idiot. However, Travis is not abusive. Having said that, there's no way in heck I would ever want anybody I know dating him.

Okay now that I've addressed that Travis is not at all role-model for people, I hope people won't slam my review.

Like I said, I really enjoyed this novel. It was beautifully written. Granted, I was frustrated the whole time, but it was a great book.

I loved watching Travis and Abby's interactions and hearing Travis's side of the story made me like him more than I thought was possible. I'm not excusing his behavior, but knowing why he acted the way he did helped me feel more sympathetic toward him.

Travis might not be the ideal guy. In fact, he's far from it. But deep down, he has a good heart and isn't a bad guy. I know people are worried about the message this book is sending young girls (ie: you can change a guy, rough guys around the edges have good hearts) and feel like it will lead to abusive situations. However, not to bash any books here, but a lot of novels send terrible messages and present it as normal or good. (ie: Hunger Games, Twilight, etc.)

So yes this book might give girls the wrong idea; however, it also is a well-written novel that is intriguing and great novel. Travis is far from perfect but I really loved hearing his story. 

This novel is not plot-driven; rather the reader gets to live inside Travis's mind and hear his thoughts about what's happening. If you haven't read Beautiful Disaster, you will be completely lost. Read Beautiful Disaster first. It was a more lyrical style but I really enjoyed it. 

So why 4 stars? It wasn't my favorite novel ever, but it was well-written. I felt like the novel ran a little bit long at times and it just lacked that extra something to make it a 5 but it was still an enjoyable read. 

In Summary: Walking Disaster and its companion novel Beautiful Disaster are controversial books and people's opinions about them vary. I, however, really enjoyed reading this novel. It was an entertaining book and I don't think it leads to girls wanting abusive relationships. This book isn't for everybody, but I'm glad I read it.

Warnings/Side-notes: It's a New Adult novel and is definitely made for more mature readers. Several sexual references and mentions of drinking and drugs. These references are not graphic, but they are also not meant for young readers. 

The Wrap-up: A controversial book that isn't meant for everybody, but I enjoyed it. It's definitely a book that people love or hate. If it sounds like your cup of tea, then give it a shot. I'm glad I did.

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)