Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Book Review: Everbound by Brodi Ashton


Hello Fellow Page-Turners,

Since I was writing a ton of reviews right before I was going to Italy, I shortened the length of several of my reviews to merely stating my overall thoughts and impressions of the novel. I hope that this doesn't disappoint anybody. 

Before I get into my review here's some general information about the book. 


Everbound
(Everneath, #2)
by Brodi Ashton
Released On: January 22, 2013
Published by: Balzer and Bray
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.21
Pages: 358


Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.

Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.

Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.
In this enthralling sequel to Everneath, Brodi Ashton tests the bonds of destiny and explores the lengths we’ll go to for the ones we love. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I have such mixed feelings about this book and this series as a whole. I really wanted to like this novel and yet going into this novel I really thought I might hate it. I hadn't really read anybody's reviews about it, but I just had  really mixed feelings. That could partly because I love retellings about Persephone and this is one of the more drastically different than the original story. 

I really wanted to like Cole and yet he kept being an idiot and doing things that made me want to hate him. And then there was Nikki. I really disliked her as a character and yet she intrigued me.  

The story was well-written, the characters were well-developed, and the story was paced well. It kept me guessing and then there was that ending. The ending left me so frustrated. I'm excited to read the next one in the series and can't wait to see how Brodi finishes the series off. I will admit to feeling really anxious about how she will end the series, but I'm still excited. 

That's why rating this novel is so hard. It just rubs me the wrong way. There's no reason I shouldn't like it. The novel is incredible it just bugs me. However, I'll look past that and give it 4 stars. 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. Hello there,
    I saw that you were a part of the Providence Book Promotions and decided to visit your blog. I'm meaning to join and become a tour host as well. I'm a new follower and I would really love it if you come follow me back.
    Music Plus Books
    Have a wonderful day,
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)