Monday, November 17, 2014

Book Review: Trust Me I'm Lying (Trust me, #1) by Mary Elisabeth Summer

Trust Me I'm Lying
(Trust Me, #1)
by Mary Elizabeth Summer
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary Suspense 
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.76
Published by: Delacorte Press
Released On: October 14, 2014

Before I get into my review, here's the synopsis:



Fans of Ally Carter, especially her Heist Society readers, will love this teen mystery/thriller with sarcastic wit, a hint of romance, and Ocean’s Eleven–inspired action.


Julep Dupree tells lies. A lot of them. She’s a con artist, a master of disguise, and a sophomore at Chicago’s swanky St. Agatha High, where her father, an old-school grifter with a weakness for the ponies, sends her to so she can learn to mingle with the upper crust. For extra spending money Julep doesn’t rely on her dad—she runs petty scams for her classmates while dodging the dean of students and maintaining an A+ (okay, A-) average.

But when she comes home one day to a ransacked apartment and her father gone, Julep’s carefully laid plans for an expenses-paid golden ticket to Yale start to unravel. Even with help from St. Agatha’s resident Prince Charming, Tyler Richland, and her loyal hacker sidekick, Sam, Julep struggles to trace her dad’s trail of clues through a maze of creepy stalkers, hit attempts, family secrets, and worse, the threat of foster care. With everything she has at stake, Julep’s in way over her head . . . but that’s not going to stop her from using every trick in the book to find her dad before his mark finds her. Because that would be criminal.


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: This book is one that I enjoyed immensely. I loved the main character Julep. She was sassy and yet oh so lovable.

This is the first book that I've read by Summer, but it won't be the last. I for one will definitely read the sequel. I would recommend this book to fans of Sammy Keyes, Nancy Drew, and of course Ally Carter.

I loved how Summer made the novel come to life, how the characters grew in the story, and above all the writing.

I read many books and when the writing style stands out that catches my attention.

So why 3.5 stars? Because although I loved it and adored it, it wasn't the best book I've ever read. It was an enjoyable read, one that I'm glad I read, but not one that I would reread. For that, I gave it a 3.5. However, I am looking forward to the sequel. 

In Summary: Fans of the Sammy Keyes novels and Ally Carter will adore the latest sassy sleuth Julep in a new crazy world of mystery that will keep them guessing until the very end. 

Warnings/Side-notes: There were a few instances of language. One or two swear words, but not bad. However, overall the novel is suitable for readers of all ages. 

The Wrap-up: I truly did enjoy this novel. It was a fast, quick, enjoyable read. I hope that the sequel will continue to build upon this foundation. Definitely a book that I'm glad I took the time to read. 

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, rereads are usually 4.5 stars and up for me. But this does sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute. I'd definitely reccomend checking it out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)